Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intellect101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Someone hit my parked car do I file on their insurance
    My car was parked at work. Someone hit my car while trying to enter the parking lot. The passenger side back light is broken and there are scratches and paint from the truck that hit my car on my car. I have had a police report completed. The report will be ready on Friday. I have notified my insurance. However, would I need to allow my insurance to file this on my insurance or would I just need to contact his insurance and file the claim.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 11:26 AM

Your insurance should handle it from here. The file will be assigned a claims adjuster. Call him to find out if you are supposed to do something. I used to work for State Farm which asked our insureds for their version of the accident and took pictures of the vehicle and the scene of the accident. Your premium should not go up since this was not your fault (unless you had parked in a way that your vehicle was an obstacle to another vehicle coming into the lot).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 06:15 PM

Your insurance company will handle it for you - anything you say to the other person's insurance company most likely can (and will) be used to defend the other person's position.

Check with your company before you talk to anybody - including me if I come knocking!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 06:28 PM

Normally your insurance will just handle it, if in doubt, that is why you should have your insurance agent on speed dial in your phone. If you ever have a question about what is happening, let them earn their money and talk to your agent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whose fault if your parked car door damages another parked car [ 8 Answers ]

My child was in a friends mother's car and she parked close to another car. My son opened the door and it made a very small dent in the other car's side. The mother of my sons friend has given my details to the other person who apparently is intending to claim for damage to her car from me. I would...

My parked car was hit by niighbor and I am in a tough situation now! [ 15 Answers ]

LAst night my neighbor's daughter backed out of her driveway and hit my trucks rear bumper and cracked the hard plastic. My car is always in my drive way except for this only time I pulled in front of my house in the neighborhood on the city street for twenty minutes to pick up my brother. (my...

Someone hit my parked car but I got no license or covered by my insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this site. Last week my dads car was hit at my job . This girl backed up into my dads parked car . I borrowed it to go to work . I have no license or covered by insurance , but my dad has full coverage . People tell me it was parked so it doesn't matter if I got no insurance or...

Teen, 16, hit a parked car/no license [ 6 Answers ]

My best friend, 16, who I'd do anything for, went to get some food one day but hit a parked car as he was pulling in to park. The car he hit was a brand new toyota tocoma, which the guy bought last week. He was an off duty cop! My best friend was a total mess, crying and panicking because it was a...

View more questions Search