Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leeroynew Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Feb 15, 2010, 01:01 AM
    What is the magnitude of the resultant force and at what angle does it act?
    Another question regarding magnitude, an extra force is added this time.

"For the set of forces shown in the diagram, what isd the magnitude of the resultant force and at what angle does it act?"

Another diagram is attached.

Cheers for any help,

-Paaul.
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 08:06 AM

Apply the same technique as with your previous question:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...ce-445787.html

Try it - if you get stuck post back but this time show us how far you've gotten and where you're getting stuck.

Feb 15, 2010, 08:42 AM

Thought the same method may have been used, so here's one I prepared earlier lol:

Magnitude = 25.44
    Angle = 73.89

If this is correct, the only place I am unsure about is the direction of the force and from which line the angle is to be meaured.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 08:53 AM

Correct - that's not so hard!

The only "tricks" to remember are:

(a) Always convert the angles sso that they ar measured counter-clockwise from the positive x axis. So the angle of the 40 N force is really 180-80 = 100 degrees, and the 15 N force is 180+ 45 = 225 degrees.

(b) In taking the arc tan a positive result is either quadrant 1 or 3, and a negative result is either quadrant 2 or 4. So you need to look at the signs of Fx_total and Fy_total to figure out which quadrant. Here since both Fx_total and Fy_total are positive (right?) that means the resultant is in quadrant 1, and you are measuring from the positive x axis.

Feb 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Correct - that's not so hard!

The only "tricks" to remember are:

(a) Always convert the angles sso that they ar measured counter-clockwise from the positive x axis. So the angle of the 40 N force is really 180-80 = 100 degrees, and the 15 N force is 180+ 45 = 225 degrees.

(b) In taking the arc tan a positive result is either quadrant 1 or 3, and a negative result is either quadrant 2 or 4. So you need to look at the signs of Fx_total and Fy_total to figure out which quadrant. Here since both Fx_total and Fy_total are positive (right?) that means the resultant is in quadrant 1, and you are measuring from the positive x axis.

Excellent. Thanks for the help. Our tutor expects us to know all this without being taught, so the help is appreciated. The explanations he does give complicate something that is really quite simple and still don't help to solve problems, for instance I've never been taught how work out which way the resultant force should go until now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question which requires finding the magnitude and direction of a resultant force (including angles as to be able to accurately draw on paper). The question is written as follows: "consider two forces, F1 and F2, of magnitudes 17N and 9N respectively, acting on a particle (diagram). what...

Finding the Magnitude and Direction of Force one with the Resultant Given [ 14 Answers ]

Determine the magnitude and direction theata of F1 so that the resultant force is directed vertically upward and has a magnitude of 800N. 9925 I have difficulty of where to start the problem? Do I sum up the forces of the x axis with unknowns in it and forces of the y axis with the unknown...

Magnitude and direction of resultant force [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know how to determine what is an x and y component. I am trying to solve the following problem. Three people are pulling on a tree. The first person pulls with 15N at 65 degrees; the second with 16N at 135 degrees; the third with 11N at 195 degrees. What is the magnitude and direction...

Magnitude and direction of resultant forces [ 2 Answers ]

sorry I forgot to put the values for the angl Q :mad: All angls are measured anti clockwise from the x a-axis F1=60N, F2=45N,F3=25N, F4=15N Q1=30, Q2=120,Q3=220, Q4=320

Magnitude and direction of the resultant [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a high school physics course and NEED some help with this problem. Four forces act on a hot-sir balloon, Force upward= 5120N Force downward= 4050N Force westward= 1520N Force eastward= 950N Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force...

View more questions Search