Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tamsky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 07:01 AM
    Filing a quiet title in Georgia
    My father has paid property taxes for 30+ years on a vacant lot in Georgia. This lot is adjacent to 2 other lots that he owns. We have no deed showing ownership of the lot in question. I have done a title search and found the last filed deed (1960). I phoned the grantees who state the property is not theirs. However, they refuse to quit-claim the property over to my father. The property is in a small town and no attorney or abstractor will do the search/take the case. We've tried for 2 years and are still paying taxes. Is is possible for a my father to file the quiet title? I am a Paralegal, but admittedly have no real knowledge or real estate law.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 03:09 PM

Try contacting an attorney in the county seat and see if that will help get this accomplished.

I am also intrigued as to why he would pay taxes for 30 years on a property he doesn't own.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 05:47 PM

No, merely paying the taxes gives you no legal right, in fact, not paying them and letting it be sold at tax sale, would be the easiest. You stop paying taxes, in about 2 years it is sold, you buy it at highest bid, and then wait one year and can own it.

The person who is on the last recorded deed is the owner, and unless they will sign it over to you, they still own it.

You can not quiet a title you don't own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing a quiet title [ 3 Answers ]

Real estate law Do I need an attorney to file a "quiet title" to change the title on property ? On real estate owned.

Georgia Tax filing mess. [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a mess of a situation on my hands that I hope someone can help make sense of... My wife and I recently moved back into the United States on September 1 of 2008 (from Canada) . We moved to an apartment in Georgia in November, and we both started working on December 1. This is my first...

Filing a quiet title action [ 10 Answers ]

I am so tired of dealing with attorney's out of state, speficially in Florida and it has cost me $1000's I would like to know from someone if I can do a quiet title action, pro-se and what it would take. It isn't very involved because my father's wife has recently passed away and there are no other...

View more questions Search