Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatemike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Help on pregnant chihuahua
    I have a pregnant chihuaha , its her first time and I need to know what to expect and
    How can I help her when she is giving birth
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:10 PM

Well there is SO much that you should really talk to a vet and an experienced breeder.
    First I would suggest getting her on a good quality dog food. During the first 30 days of pregnancy she can eat her normal diet, as long as it is a high quality food. During the last month of pregnancy start switching her over to a high quality puppy food, make the diet change over a weeks time. Try and walk her daily. Excersise is really important. You don't want her to get too over weight. Talk to your vet about calcium suppliments, if the puppy chow is one of the better qualities, then you may not need to suppliment. Also talk to your vet about vaccines, some vaccines can cause abortions. Make sure to keep checking her temp. A normal dog temperature will be 100.5 - 102.5, about 24 hours before whelping her temperature will drop a few degrees.
    Also when she is about to whelp do NOT leave her, many times a dog will need help with this, in a lot of small dogs c-sections are nessesary.
    When you take your dog in for her vet visit, the vet will give you lots of info and help. Read up on making a whelping box, and how to properly care for your pregnant dog.
    You can gether spayed right after she is finished nursing.

This is a helpful website.

Pregnancy & Birth in Dogs - whelping and breeding information

But you should probably think about getting some books as well.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 04:34 PM

You need to go to your vet and get info. Chihuahuas are prone to needing c-sections. This will not be a cheap procedure.
    n15 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Feb 10, 2010, 10:20 PM

Chihuahuas are funny dogs
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 01:23 AM

n15, I'm sorry but this is a serious Question and Answer site.
    People come on here looking accurate advice.

If you are looking for a chat site this is not the place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chihuahua with broken pelvis, now pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter's dog (purebred chihuahua, about 10 lbs normally) had a broken pelvis earlier this year. It was broken in 3 places. It has been 8 weeks and is fully healed now. However, the birth canal is no longer straight and smooth, but has a slight bend to it just as it curves down toward her...

8 month old Chihuahua pregnant how do I stop this? [ 8 Answers ]

I need help my 8 month old chihuahua just finished being in heat. No more bleeding but her area is still swollen, so we keep her "diaper" on her still just in case she starts bleeding but mainly to make her safe. Today another chihuahua male desided it was time for her not to be a virgin anymore....

Pregnant chihuahua [ 4 Answers ]

My chihuahua is pregnant.well really she's my moms but Ive been watching her. We didn't know that she was pregnant until a couple weeks ago.well Im just wondering if I can give her a flea bath while she's pregnant?

Pregnant chihuahua dog [ 2 Answers ]

My chihuahua dog is 8 and 1/2 yrs old and got pregnant by a mimituer poddle. Is she in any risk?

My 5 lb. Chihuahua is pregnant by my Moms 10 lb. Zu [ 3 Answers ]

I think my Chihuahua is in labor and I feel that her puppies are too big for her to have on her own. I can't afford to take her to the vet and I don't want her to die on me . It was a freak accident that she has gotten pregnant in the first place. She has doubled in her weight and she has a...

View more questions Search