Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpneeded123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 11:43 AM
    Foreign Bank account
    Hello,
    I am on H1 visa in USA. I have a NRE account in India in which I transfer money into. The money gets converted into INR after it has been credited to my account in India. I do not receive any kind on documentation (1099-INT or likewise) showing the interest earned on that interest bearing account. Income tax is exempt on interest earned in NRE accounts.
    1.) Do I need to declare the account's amount on form TD F 90.22-1 if it is more than $10K at any time during the year.
    2.) Do I need to declare the interest earned on that account?

If I do declare it and I pay to extra taxes, doesn't it mean I am paying taxes on amounts that I am already declaring as part of my earnings and have already paid taxes on.

Apologies, if I am confusing the questions or wording it wrong. I am not well versed with tax terminologies. Thanks in advance for helping me.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 06:46 PM

If you are a U.S. resident then you must report the foreign account and include all of your worldwide income on your U.S. tax return.
    helpneeded123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have another question. My foreign bank did not send me 1099INT. How do I report the interest in that case? Should I just write the interest earned in schedule B by converting the interest earned in INR into USD?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 04:15 AM

Yes, you will report interest income. Even the interest earned on your NRE account. Convert INR to USD.
    You may also need to file TD F 90.22-1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bank account got red flag I need my money who can I call for the bank to relase it [ 6 Answers ]

I have a over sea investment account that I have had for many years now. I am in some financial problem and need to liquidate that account. It a very large some of money. I got the account wire transfer to my bank account. I knew the bank would red flag it because of the large amount but now it...

Can a foreign national open a US bank account? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, My boss just received his L1A Visa and he wants to open a personal bank account in the US. Is he able to do so? Thanks, JackWolf

Income tax from foreign bank account [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Power of Attorney over an account in Canada that belong to my dad who resides in UK. With all the recent FBAR fiasco I am trying to amend the FBAR reports before the June 2010 deadline. Before I even proceed I am trying to determine if I owe any taxes on interest just to qualify. We are...

Foreign 2nd home and foreign bank [ 2 Answers ]

We own property in China financed by a bank in China. Do we still need to file the 1042? And how d you figure the rate of exchange? By the month when paid? Thanks!

View more questions Search