Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ravneet Kaur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 07:36 AM
    Vectors- tension problem (application of addition of vectors)
    An electronic score board of mass 500 kg is suspended from a ceiling making an angle of 70 degrees with the ceiling.The weight is evenly distributed. Determine the tension in the cables in newtons
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 10:50 AM

Draw a free-body diagram of the score board. It's weight of 500Kg * g is a force acting straight down. This force is resisted by the tension in the cable(s), so that the sum of the vertical components of all forces is 0, and also the sum of the horizontal component of all forces is 0. The horizontal force of the tension in a cable that is at 70 degrees to the ceiling is T*cos(70), and the vertical component is T*sin(70). So you will get two simultaneous equations - solve them for T.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vectors and projecticles [ 4 Answers ]

If I shovel snow after storm exerting a force of 30.0N at an 60.0 angle to the vertcial... what will be my horziontal and vertical componets:confused: of the force exerted by marcie?

Resultant of 2 vectors [ 3 Answers ]

To get resultant displacement of 10m,2 displacement vectors,one of magnitude 6m and the other of 8m should be combined in which way?? a)parallel b)anti-parallel c)at an angle of 60 d) at an angle of 90

How to do vectors [ 2 Answers ]

My name is chris and I am currently attending ITT technical. My question is how to do vector problems in trig.

About vectors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm facing problem how to visualise vevtors when our sir teaches... what exactly are vectors how do they look like... how can we easily understand these properties such as rings etc

Calculating vectors [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I got a question that I am stuck with and need some help on it A boat that is capable of travelling at 4.5km/hr in still water is travelling on a river whose current is 1.5jm/h East. Find the time it takes for the boat to travel 3.0km downstream relative to the shore. And The time the boat...

View more questions Search