Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kanelos Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Why brown discharge before period?
    It's a couple of days before my period and I'm getting a brownish discharge when I wipe and don't know why? I just switched to a new type of pill, but prior have been on ortho for about 3 years now.. Could I be pregnant??
    marhaaaa Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanelos
    Its a couple of days before my period and im getting a brownish discharge when i wipe and dont know why?? I just switched to a new type of pill, but prior have been on ortho for about 3 years now.. Could i be pregnant????
    No cause I'm 14 and I haven't had sex and I'm not taking any pills and I get brown discharge so I don't think your pregenant but if you think you are then go see a doctor my dear.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Dec 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
    If you think that you may be pregnant, you should have a pregnancy test. However, when the pill is used correctly, it is 99.8% effective in preventing pregnancy.

Brownish discharge occurs from time to time, even with the use of birth control. It is likely the brown discharge you are experiencing is just spotting related to your body adjusting to the hormones in the oral contraceptive pills.

If your brown discharge is still a concern, you may want to make an appointment with a health care provider for an evaluation. This and other changes related to the fluctuation of hormone levels should clear up within 2-3 months.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. The Answer Spot, Brown Discharge...NO smell but still freaks me out(Online: Orgeon State University, 2005) Brown Discharge...NO smell but still freaks me out : SHS AnswerSPOT, Oregon State University
    samantha reese Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 08:36 PM

OK I am 18 and I'm getting brown discharge and I'm not on because I was but I stopped taking them in nov of 09 and I am not on any now so why the brown discharge and yes I'm sexually active but I use a condom
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Feb 8, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Samantha,

Brown discharge is quite common in women. It is a function and not a disfunction. Discharge may appear brown right after your periods, and is just the "cleaning out" your vagina. Old blood looks brown. Secondly, brown discharge can be a sign of pregnancy.

Sometimes early in pregnancy there may be spotting or a brownish discharge at the time of your period. If you have spotting at the time of your normal period rather than your usual amount of flow, and you have had sex without using birth control, you should check a pregnancy test. You may try a home pregnancy test, but be sure to confirm the results with your Doctor. There have been a few false positive and false negative results given by home pregnancy tests.

Hope this answers your question!
    amandaraem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Thing is I get the same thing... about a week before my period I get a brownish discharge until my period comes. I went to the doctor, who was a man, and said it is normal. But I feel horrible the whole time. It makes you feel like you have a period for two weeks!

I am sexually active and have had the same partner for 5 years, have has regular check ups etc. I have been on the pill for approx 4 years. It feels as though the pill is running out towards the end of my cycle- I use a triphasic pill. I really want this to stop..

Please someone lend some advice!
    Punkinpie21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
    I am haven a brown discharge and I am on the depo shot! What does that mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brown discharge before period! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! This is my first time on this site... but here is my question!. I'm 20 years old and sexually active. I usually have sex at least once a day, give or take a few, with my boyfriend. He was a virgin before me (that is certain). I am on birth control pills and I also usually use condoms just...

Brown discharge and no period? [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: Hey, I was hoping someone could help me. It's about my period, or should I say my non-existent period. My last period was in May about 7 weeks ago (from the last day) and I'm about 3 weeks late. I've been late before, but this time it's different. A few days ago I thought I had gotten...

No period and brown discharge? [ 1 Answers ]

I am really confused. I'm not sure what is going on and I'm worried it could be something like a miscarriage. I'm not sure. Okay, here's what's going on. I'm 25. I have two kids. My birth control method is condoms. I expected my period 7 days ago and it never came. Not even a hot flash or cramp....

Brown discharge after period [ 3 Answers ]

Hi.I using birth control pills for 8months,I went for smear test was normal but I had vaginal infection,I used cream that doctor gave it to me for 2weeks each night lastmonth.but this month,I see during my ovulation I had brown discharge,I scared of infection again but I can say I'm so excited...

View more questions Search