Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    educate me Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Renting room in your own home nj
    I own a home in nj and I recently rented a bedroom to a guy with bathroom,kitchen privileges.also use of livingroom.my house is small.I have a room there but have not slept there since he has been there because I'm staying at a sick friends house to help her for a short time.I let him put what was supposed to be 15 small containers in my garage.turned out to be a lot more,a lot!! I stop at the house reg and he has filled my small room off kichen with boxes also some in livingroom,plus some in basement and somehow added stuff to garage,its packed.he said his son would be there some weekends and that's almost evryweekend.he is 12... now I deal with that its his kid but now he has a girlfriend who I caught sleeping over.Not sure but she is going trhu divorce and she stays with him often.He does not pay utilities but runs up bills with the others being here.He has the balls to subtract for buying light bulbs,7.00 bulbs wo asking.also I gave him blinds but he did not like that they went on outside of window not inside so he bought 2 and charged me also.. my mortgage just went up and I need him out.I am falling behind on bills and he is making this worst.I am a single middle aged woman struggling as it is.he has only been there since 15 dec09.my friend wants to move in and pay all my bills so I don't loose my house.I know this guy knows his rights.how do I go about getting him out..? I was told I could give him 30 dys notice since he just has room in my house.I was going to be nice and give him till April 1st 2010.what do I do.. he has no lease but some reciepts for when he paid...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 07:16 PM

Is renting the room in accordance with your Town/City's laws?

You need to evict him according to the law in NJ.

Feb 3, 2010, 07:29 PM

Not sure of town or city laws.thought I could have roommate to help out.lived with brother than he passed on.thought I would help someone and they could help me.did not relize people play the system.I think he is one.I found out he left the last place he was in oweing $$$$.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 07:40 PM

First I hope you checked with the zoning and your property is zoned to allow multi family and it is a legal rental, Since if it is not, there are issues there and in some cases the renter have even sued for their rent money back since it was not a legal renter.

And of course rooms have to have some specific items ( such as windows that open) and mnay other items in most areas to be legal even if zonning allows

But it obviously is an issue that you have not ordered him to get boxes out,

So now you evict him, give him notice and if he does not lease, you file for eviciton in court

Feb 4, 2010, 07:35 AM
    My house is single family house I just rented bedroom in dec15...
    DOES ANYONE KNOW NJ LAWS FOR EVICTION PROCESS FOR SOME? HE has his boxes of stuff all over my house.I let him put some stuff in garage to help I never gave permission for things to be put in side house unless it was his room... I can't afford a lawyer.He pays very little because I made a deal with him to pay $450 mnth and he would care for 5 old cats I have.. I am back and forth staying with a friend who is in and out of hospital who is hour away.. She has 14 yr old son I drive to school and I help her while she is recuperating.. I go home and have a room home but haven't been sleeping there because she has needed me a lot in the past 3 mnths... He has jis son there onb weekends and now a girlfriend staying over regulerly.. my utilities are crazy with all those people.. I never agreed to all that... I want him out without any problems.What do I do... He has taken advantage because I haven't been staying there a lot... All my stuff is there.. I don't trust him I feel like if I give notice he will claim he got hurt or god knows what?? anyone know njlaw?? I was being kind and trying to help him he was on disabilty for eye injury... I had the extra room and thought it would be good for both of us... now I think he is a person who gets over... My boyfriend said he would move in and pay bills April 1st.if I give him notice and he agrees than last min says what can I do?my boyfriend will be giving up his apartment... also I'm am 52 with bad back and arthrtis strugling to keep home(fallen behind on mortgage)will not lose home after 10 tyrs of busting butt to keep.. HELP PLEASE...

Feb 6, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Rented bedroom in my own single family home in nj... want him out!!
    It's a single family home... i live there, its just a 3 bdrm single family home... i rented a bedroom as a roommate to help with bills... i was told he has no rights beyond 30 dy notice... true??
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 08:38 AM

Using caps is the equivalent of yelling - there is no need for raising your voice.

"He" is a tenant and, therefore, must be evicted according to NJ law.

I don't know what you mean by he would have rights beyond a 30 days notice.

Guidelines for New Jersey Residential Eviction

Feb 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Sorry cap lock was on... There is no lease.He lives in my home,a one family house.I told him verbally that I would have to see how high my utilities go up before I know if this would work out.He has his son stay on weekends and now a girlfriend sleeps over during the week when she feels like it.My mortgage just went up 350 a month for taxes.. I will lose my house if I don't get him out .I am single middle age woman struggling.. I don't want to put anyone out and I am willing to give him half of feb rent free and all of march free so he can have money for room somewhere else.He brought all kinds of boxes of his things that he said was going in storage.I org agreed to let him put 15 small containers in my garage.After I saw that stuff he brought more things when I was not around and filled up garage,Plus put all kinds of boxes all in my house... He says he is going through stuff but there is no room in my house for everything he owns.His room is full as it is.He took complete advantage cause I was staying at friends who is sick helping and knew I would not be there a lot until my friend got better.. If I was there he never would have pulled this crap.. I trusted him.. My friend wants to move in April 1st with 2 kids to pay all my bills with me... I was told to give him notice of 30 dys and that he has no rights beyond that.I was told to put his stuff in storage if he is not out by end of march.Is this correct...
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:30 AM

If there is no lease he's a month to month tenant - usually from the 1st of the month to the end of that month. He needs to be evicted - your financial situation does not change that part of the law.

You don't give your tenant 30 days notice. Did you read the site I posted?

You give him a 3 day notice followed by a 30 day notice -

Read the site for the details.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:31 AM

Asked and answered on other thread - please do not keep opening new threads on the same subject. I have posted the info and am trying to help you by quoting the law and giving you the answers you need.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:33 AM

There are 3 separate threads on this same subject. OP apparently doesn't like any of those answers.

Should be combined.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 09:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    educate me disagrees : No thats not it...I was told by lawyer different answer than you so i am ???who is correct.I see you are a regular and wonder how the law is interperted 2 opposite ways.I am confused thats all...
    Give yours Agree Disagree *Required*
    .[/QUOTE]

I would suggest that you read the rules of the site concerning agree/disagree as well as opening new threads.

I gave you the legal answer AND the section where you can look up the law and you opened two additional threads with the same question.

Here's the answer that trumps what the Attorneys told you (and you paid both of them or had free consultations and the opinions were based on whatever info you shared?): READ THE SITE I POSTED. IT GIVES THE LAW.

Please don't contact me by PM - post whatever you have to say in a visible thread. Thank you.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
    This is an explanation of the law that applies to your situation. It is taken from the New Jersey Truth-in-Renting Guide. You can read the entire Guide at http://www.nj.gov/dca/codes/lt/pdf/t_i_r.pdf

"Tenants of landlord-occupied two- and three-family dwellings can be removed only when a court issues an order for eviction. However, in these cases, the landlord must only show that the tenant (a) is staying after the expiration of the term of the lease, (b) is staying after a failure to pay rent, (c) is disorderly so as to destroy the peace and quiet of other tenants, (d) willfully destroys or damages the premises, (e) constantly violates the written rules and regulations or (f) violates any lease provision where the lease reserves a right of re-entry for such violations. A three (3) month notice to quit must be given if an at will tenancy or year-to-year tenancy exists. A one (1) month notice to quit is required for a month-to-month tenancy and other types of tenancies are entitled to a one (1) term notice to quit.(93) No further notice is required before bringing action in court to evict in the case of a tenant staying after a failure to pay rent. A three (3) day written notice is required for any of the causes described as disorderly, destructive or violative of written rules or lease provisions.(94)"

You have to give your tenant a written notice that his tenancy is terminated 30 days from that date and he must move out. You don't have to give a reason for the termination. If he hasn't moved out within that time then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction in the county court. The court will assign a trial date. At the trial you must provide the court with a copy of the notice. Then you have to testify that you handed the notice to your tenant and that they have not moved out. If the tenant does not appear you will be granted a default judgment for possession. If the tenant appears and does not have a valid defense then you will be granted a judgment for possession.

After you have gotten a judgment for possession you have to apply to the sheriff or constable for the eviction to be performed. They will post a notice to the tenant of the date of eviction. On that date they will appear and will stand by while you have the locks changed. If the tenant's possessions are still at the property you have the right to put them out on the street while the eviction is being performed.

Feb 6, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Thanks for answers judy.sorry for misunderstanding... 1 more??
    Do I need specific reason for wanting him out of my house?Can I simple say I want to live alone or with family or a friend who can help me more financially.I am also not comfortable living in small house with a male who is a stranger... Thought I would be,but I am not.. Dont get me wrong you no I already listed a lot of reasons for wanting him out.But do I need to go there with him.I would like to keep this simple and not insult him.You get more bees with honey you know? Can I tell him I am just not comfotable in this situation... Because it's a single family home with no lease is this OK... like you said 3 day notice than 30 dy.I will give him till end of march to be nice.Opinions??
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 12:01 PM

Is related to another post of yours? I feel like I'm only seeing half the story when I read this post. If you have more to add to a previous post, go back to that thread and use the box at the end of it, type what you need to add and click "post quick answer"
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 12:04 PM
    threads merged
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by educate me View Post
    Do I need specific reason for wanting him out of my house?Can I simple say I want to live alone or with family or a friend who can help me more financially.I am also not comfortable living in small house with a male who is a stranger... Thought I would be,but I am not.. Dont get me wrong you no I already listed a lot of reasons for wanting him out.But do I need to go there with him.I would like to keep this simple and not insult him.You get more bees with honey you know? Can I tell him I am just not comfotable in this situation... Because it's a single family home with no lease is this OK... like you said 3 day notice than 30 dy.I will give him till end of march to be nice.Opinions??
    I know that you've addressed this to Judy but allow me to quote a line from my post above.
    You don't have to give a reason for the termination.
    You don't have to tell him anything. You don't have to write anything other than "Your tenancy is hereby terminated effective March 31, 2010. You must vacate the property on or before March 31, 2010." Then sign the notice.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 05:21 PM

Read what Lisa posted - she covered it all.

Here is my problem - YOU have to read the info which has been provided and YOU have to figure it out. We cannot "spoon feed" the information to you.

If you are as confused as you appear to be you MUST retain an Attorney.
    LIN8747 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
    I rent a room in my home. The rent for June has not been paid, and my tenant was in a serious accident. She will not be back for month's or more, due to injuries. I have tried to contact her family and they will not return my calls. We have a month to month lease, and I live in New Jersey. Do I have the right to remove her things? How long do I have if she hasn't paid the rent? I feel awful since she is hurt so badly, but I have a mortgage to pay, and I don't know what rights I have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a room in a house [ 3 Answers ]

What are the legalities if I were to rent out a room short term, just to people on vacation for a week or so here and there (maybe a total of 1 or 2 weeks per month). No food included. Besides submitting the income from this on my tax returns, would I need to do anything else? I'm thinking of...

Renting a room in my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello there, My question is I am trying my best to stay in my home with my family. To do this I don't see any other way than renting out one of the rooms. It's on the other side of the home and has it's own bathroom with a shower stall. I also have a 5 year old boy I am very apprehesive about...

Contract for renting a room in salon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I wonder if anyone can help, I am a self employed beautician who at the moment rents a room and has profit share in a local beauty salon. My problem is this... At this time I pay a rent of £25.00 per week to the salon owner plus I give her 55% of all moneys I take. This is what I and...

Renting a room to a friend, what kind of lease should I use? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that needs a place to stay for 6 months until they move into a house. I am willing to rent him a room in my house for him & his wife in the meantime. I want us to remain friends, so I told him that we would write down everything ahead of time prior to his moving in so that we all...

Renting a room in a beauty salon [ 2 Answers ]

I pay full time rent for a room ia a beauty salon, but I profer to use the room four days a week. I pay the rent so as to not share the room.Does the owner have the right to ask me too allow someone else to use the room in my absence?

View more questions Search