Comparison of bathtub material- cast iron or acrylic
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2010, 04:27 PM

It's a "no brainer". Cast iron. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 04:38 PM

I don't see to many new installs of cast iron tubs. Pretty much all acrylic or fiberglass. Can you let us know more about your question.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Isn't that funny, Lee... all I ever install is cast iron tubs... :) I swear, you just never know from area to area... huh?

Emjennings:

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of the cast iron tubs, but acrylic tubs do hold one advantage over cast iron tubs, for sure, and that's depth! Cast iron tubs are pretty short depth to tub overflow... if you want extra depth it will run you into $1000.00 or more for a very basic unit.

If you are a person that plans to take lots of baths then I could argue that the cast iron is best choice as it will hold the temperature of the hot water longer than an acrylic tub. However, I could also argue that an acrylic tub is 5" deeper for the same dollar and you can set it in a bed of mortar or similar bedding substrate and it'll hold temperature pretty good. Hmmmmm..?

So, hard sell all...

I like the cast iron tubs best 'cause most people just use them to stand in and shower or they might bathe the kids and they retain heat and they keep the best finish over time.

Acrylic has its place, too... ;)

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Cast iron to pvc [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old tile shower in my basement and I want to replace it with a shower stall the old shower has a cast iron pipe how should I connect the drain from the new to the old?

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

Plastic to cast iron [ 8 Answers ]

I am installing a sewage pump in my basement that requires a 2" plastic pipe fitted to a 4" cast iron hub. The 4"hub has a female threaded cleanout fitting in it and it is fitted with lead and oakum. The cleanout plug is made of copper and measures 3-7/8" across OD, which nothing else seems to fit....

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

View more questions Search