Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dubevipi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Incorrect state on W-2, how to file?
    Hi All,

I have worked in VA for the first half of the 2009 & for PA in the second half. But my employer has submitted state tax for the entire year to VA. As a result, my W-2 only shows VA.

1. Do I need to get a corrected W-2 (which doesn't seem possible to me)
    2. If not, how can I file for state tax for both the states?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 04:20 AM

Complete PA return and report income earned while in PA.

File VA return. If you are resident of PA report worldwide income, and claim credit for taxes paid to PA. Attach PA tax return and statement that you lived in VA from -- to... and PA from... to...

If you are resident of VA for the part of year, report VA income during the part of the year. Attach PA tax return and statement that you lived in VA from -- to... and PA from... to...
    dubevipi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 06:54 AM

Thanks a lot, that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ny state tax extensionwhat form would I use to file an extension for ny state taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

What form should I use to file an extension for ny state taxes?

TurboTax and incorrect calculation of taxation of previous yr state refund [ 3 Answers ]

Facts: Person A itemized deductions in 2007. Received state tax refund of X. Person B itemized deductions in 2007. Received state tax refund of Y. A & B got married in 2008. Filing together, TurboTax allows the import of Person A's 2007 return since they did it through TurboTax the year...

Incorrect State on W-2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I came to USA in Oct 2008. I have been working in Connecticut (CT) till date. My Employer has issued me W-2 for FY08 that incorrectly shows Illinois (IL) instead of CT. I asked my employer to re-issue a W-2 but they have refused, saying that my address was not updated with them and...

Travelling Job- Need to file Tax for residence state or workplace state? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was living in Kansas from Nov 07- June 08. Then moved to New Mexico in July 08 and I currently reside here. All this time, I was working for a job in PA where I worked from Mon - Thursday, Friday work from home. My company is based in Delaware and my W2 shows Delaware. Do I have...

Can file own accident report if NJ police information is incorrect? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know if NJ law will allow my son to file his own police report after an accident? The police took a statement at the scene but the information the officer filed was incorrect... My son called the police so a report could be filed. Everyone agreed the other party was at fault. The damage...

View more questions Search