Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 06:21 PM
    Can my boyfriend kick me out of the house?
    I moved in with my boyfriend upon a verbal agreement that I didn't have to pay rent or utilities since I was relocating from orange county to central coast and took over a half cut in pay and changing careers. I have been residing at his home for 9 months and have since gotten rid of all my furniture at the request of him to accommodate his home. Many of my things have also been damaged by him and are not replaceable.

We are in the process of splitting up and he has tried to throw me out of the house with no where to go on several occasions. In the process, we have argued he has become verbally abusive on a daily basis and has been physically abusive in the past which I didn't bother to report. I stayed away for a couple of weeks and no longer have a place to stay so I agreed to move into the front room to have my own space so I can focus on school and work while I save money to relocate back to orange county after I find work there.

I feel he is partially responsible for bringing me here and is now trying to leave me with nothing. I have documented all my expenses and difference in income and have asked him to meet me half way and help me financially so I can move out but he is refusing.

What rights do I have regarding our verbal agreement?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:35 PM

If it is his house, he really can do whatever he wants with it. A verbal agreement isn't exactly a legal agreement written on paper. You are simply trying to leave, but waiting till you have the money, and he wants to kick you out right now. A verbal agreement about paying utilities and rent isn't going to help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2010, 06:36 PM

OK, first you are a resident in the home. As a resident he can't just throw you out. If he does that's an illegal eviction which you can sue him for. But he CAN evict you if he does it legally.

As for your agreement, I'm not sure what you want there. You chose to relocate to be with him. If the relationship went sour it went sour and you move on.
    ryerson2 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Feb 2, 2010, 12:23 PM

Being that you have been there for 9 months all he has to do is give you 30 days .verbal aggrements don't work that won't help you.. but sorry to say yes he has all the right to make you leave
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ryerson2 View Post
    Being that you have been there for 9 months all he has to do is give you 30 days .verbal aggrements dont work that wont help you ..but sorry to say yes he has all the right to make you leave
    It doesn't matter if she was there 6 months, 9 months or 9 years. She has established residency, therefore she has to legally evicted. While 30 days notice is the generally required notice, it depends on where she is. In some states a month to month tenant (which is what the OP is) can be given as little as 14 days notice, in others it may require a calendar month's notice not a simple 30 days.

The question was not whether he can make the OP leave but whether he can just throw her out. The answer to that question is no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crazy Boyfriend trying to kick my out... What are my rights? [ 11 Answers ]

OK... I have been living in a townhouse for 3 1/2 with my boyfriend. He had the place before I moved in, so only his name is on the lease. I have asked a couple times to be placed on the lease, but then thought better of it because I don't want my name attached to his in legal/financial matters. I...

Can my boyfriend kick me out if his house [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend tells me he can kick me out if he wants to. I want to know if he can?we have been living together for a year with are two year old. We live in an apartment right now but he is buying a house and it will be in his name. He claimed me and are son on his taxes someone told me that means...

Kick out from the house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my name is lorena I have two children with my husband we are not a happy a couple he drinks a lot and always tells me to leave the house we don't own the property we are leasing the property what should I a do I am a house wife with no where to go.

Kick Boyfriend Out of House [ 4 Answers ]

I have been living with a guy for almost 4 years. I am breaking it off with him and told him to leave but he won't. What rights do I have? The house I live in is an inheritance from my parents and in my name only. My boyfriend has worked maybe 6 months out of the whole 4 years we have been...

View more questions Search