Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michelle07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
    Unearned Rent
    I NEED HELP

I have a problem that I am doing for my accounting class. I am trouble with adjusting the unearned rent and rent revenue.

In the trial balance ledger: unearned rent 1,200

Adjustment was : the unearned rent on Dec. 31 was 400

How do I calculate this for the work sheet?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 03:20 PM
    If you have 1,200 of unearned rent at the beginning and now at the end of the year you only have $400 left, that means that you USED (1,200-400) $800 worth of rent.

Dr. Rent Expense 800
    Cr. Unearned Rent 800
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 5, 2006, 03:40 PM
    Here is another suggestion:

Unearned rent, is an liability and is recognized when recording a deposit received by a landlord renting an apartment to a student. Prepaid and unearned rent and security are recoverable by the tenant
    Below are websites on how a work sheet should be presented using Microsoft software. The information is an example and does not reflect the answer but, how to get the answer.

[url]http://www.johnwiley.com.au/highered/accounting/faia5e/student-res/workedproblems/Ch_004_FAIA_5e.pdf[/url

Hope this is helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recording Prepaid expenses and Unearned Revenues [ 2 Answers ]

Hello- This is my first time taking Accounting and I'm having a few problems with some of my entries. If anyone could look at my first entry and help it would be greatly appreciated. I have to do the following: Prepare entries for the transactions under the method that records prepaid...

Rent [ 8 Answers ]

I rented more than half of my apt. which incl the kitchen to someone and charged her $1000. A month as my apt. is rent control I pay only $1100. I also paid for the electric bill. We had agreed on the price prior to her moving in as rents in nyc start at $1500 for an efficiency. She now is suing...

Unearned services [ 3 Answers ]

I received a check today for $ 6,000 from providence country club to photograph events held at the club over the next 12 months. This is the journal entry I did, please let me know whether it is correct. Cash 6000 Unearned revenue 6000 This is the final trial balance adusting entry...

Rent problem [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first time writing, but I need some legal help. I live in Ca. and had a 6 moths lease... but it was terminated after 4 months. Because my landlord told me that I was only allowed 14 guest within the 6 months that I stayed there. When in fact the contract states that I can have no guest...

Up Goes the Rent [ 3 Answers ]

I've been an ideal tenant for seven years, and to thank me, my lanlord jacked the rent up seventy-five dollars in less than two years. Is this legal?

View more questions Search