Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jan 31, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Installing a new toilet and can't get wax ring to seal
    I have a tiled basement bath with the closet flange sitting on top of the tile. When I set the toilet and tighten the toilet bolts part way the seal is OK. If I tighten the bolts and draw the toilet to the floor it leaks. The under side of the toilet only allows about a 1/2" of room for the flange, which is also 1/2". It seems I'm squeezing out all the wax and losing the seal. Do I need to shim the toilet up? Everything I read said mount the flange on top of the tile, but now it seems I should have mounted it below the tile.

Thanks for any help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 08:51 AM

A flange can sit with its underside flush with the top surface of the tile, it can also sit with the falnge top surface flush with the tile surface. The wax must be sqeezed a smal amount to create a seal. Can you post a picture, still trying to poicture your issue I my mind.

Jan 31, 2010, 09:21 AM
    See Attached
    Attached Images

Jan 31, 2010, 09:42 AM

Ball,

You say the wax must be squeezed a small amount to create a seal. I guess what I'm doing is mashing it down in an attempt to get the toilet sitting on the floor.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 09:59 AM
    KCDave...

You have done eveything perfectly! If you are having issues I'm betting that is just a little inexperience setting the bowl... ;)

If you want to do this only one more time, run out to home depot and purchase a new NEOPRENE reinforced wax gasket and then try again. The neoprene reinforced wax gasket will not allow you to squeeze all the wax out, but will allow a nice tight seal to be made!

These wax gaskets last longer than the regular wax gasket, too! Just be careful to tighten the toilet bowl down slowly... don't want to crack that plastic toilet flange!

Good luck!

MARK

Jan 31, 2010, 10:04 AM

Your installion of the tile and the flange are fine, this should seal perfectly. What makes you think you don't have a good seal after tightening you bolts: smell or water on the floor?

Jan 31, 2010, 04:20 PM

Water on the floor, you can watch it run out. I talked to another guy and he said I'm tightening the bolts too tight causing the plastic flange to bow. Sounds like I need to shim the toilet up.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 05:53 PM

Really shouldn't be any reason to shim the toilet. From your pics, id say that was a picture perfect closet flange install. Follow Marks advice and you should be just fine. I always make sure the wax ring is nice and warm(room temp) then when you set the toilet, use your body weight to slowly push the toilet down. Once the toilet is sitting snugly on the floor all the way aroung the base of the bowl, hand tighten the closet bolt nuts, then use a small wrench and just snug the nuts.. do not overtighten. Hope things work out for you. Please let us know if it works. Lee.
    Gregg Bender Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
    This is a 2 pronged question. First I have a slate floor which is very uneven. Any suggestions as what chaulking is best to put between the toilet and the floor.
    Second, the wax ring that came with the toilet is not thick enough, it is 1"". Do I buy a 2nd wax ring or do they make them different thickness's.

Feb 3, 2010, 05:19 PM

2 pronged and in the wrong place. You should be clicking the orange box below and to the left " ASK ABOUT PLUMBING" This will get you your own thread. Greg, they do make different thicknesses of rings but first tell us the difference between your flange surface and the floor surface. Caulk doesn't matter too much since it only fills the void and has nothing to do with holding the toilet stable, that's all in the flange and johnnie bolts. I use Dap Kwik Seal plus DAP Products - Caulks, Sealants, Adhesives, Repair and Floor Covering
    Hemlock50 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2010, 06:44 AM

I wouldn't use caulk to seal between the floor & toilet for the simple reason you wouldn't know if there was a leak (if it was used) , as posted in this thread. Obviously, not good.
    In that regard, I think it does matter whether caulk should be used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet wax ring [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, I am rwady to install the toilet. My question is as follows... I went to Home depot and the guy gave me a wax ring with an ABS collar on it. He says that is what I need since my flange is ABS. Is it okay to use this style or should I be using just the rgular standard wax ring....

Sewage smell from bathroom from wax toilet seal? [ 1 Answers ]

I get a sewage smell in my bathroom. Can this come from a deformed wax seal under the toilet. What are other likely couses?

Replaced wax seal on toilet, don't think it sealed [ 6 Answers ]

I replaced the wax seal and the flange that holds the soil line on my first floor toilet this weekend. When I put the toilet back on it didn't feel like I was pressuring the wax seal or squishing it (technical term). My wife reports there is an oder in the basement. After replacing the seal I...

Toilet wax seal [ 10 Answers ]

From what I've been reading, I'm guessing my new toilet is not sitting on the wax seal correctly. You have to hold the handle down to let it flush all the way and there is a Very faint but bad oder that smells like a foul oder being covered up with air freshener. This started happening after a...

Old toilet w/prob original wax seal [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I removed an old toilet that has a wax seal but not the new type with the flange etc. I want to replace the wax seal & reset the original toilet (it has space for 4 bolts... what to do?

View more questions Search