Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2006, 08:42 PM
    This is how NOT to install shower drain
    Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a shower from home depot. When I installed (no previous experience) according to instruction the drain leaked! I tightened, I re-did, I losened.. always leaked. Always leaked around the drain (the abs piping I did was OK, didn't leak, it was the outer shell that was leaking).

So frusturated. This is a "no-caulk" shower base. It has a plastic base premade, with metal support so a mortar bed is not needed. Obviously, this shower is made for the "do it yourself" person... but no.. It sucks because it leaks!

Anyway, I read this forumn and found much help. I installed the drain according to information found in this forumn and it worked first time. Many thanks!

Here is what the manufacturer said to do. Place rubber gasket ABOVE the base, no caulk, hand tighten only. Specifically sais no caulk and hand tighten.

If you do this by manufacturer's instruction it will leak! I guarantee you!

So instead, follow speedball's direction.

Use caulk. Put the rubber gasket under base, followed by fiber gasket, followed by large plastic lock nut.

No leak, and your wife think you a hero (thx speedball)

Knucklez
    Ps. Picture is hosted by --> http://imageshack.us/
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Hey Knuck,

"here is what the manufacturer said to do. place rubber gasket ABOVE the base, no caulk, hand tighten only. specifically sais no caulk and hand tighten."
    WRONG!!
    Follow speedball's direction, use caulk. Put the rubber gasket under base, followed by fiber gasket, followed by large plastic lock nut. (and snug the nut up with a large wrench)
    CORRECT!!

It doesn't take a rocket scientists to see that without a under base seal, (the rubber ring and anti friction fiber washer) you're going to have a leak.
    Of course the people writing directions have never install a shower drain, so you got to cut them some slack. But not much when you consider that they are being paid to be correct.

"no leak, and your wife think you a hero (thx speedball)"

Speedball blushes modestly and says, "Thanks"!
    Barry Campbell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Thanks for the detailed drawing. This helps me considerably because I do have to pull my shower drain out and see why it's leaking. Perhaps my installer put that gasket in the wrong place. "Just following directions." -Barry
    rdtour Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Also, grab a grocery bag and stuff the drain, in the process of doing mine (1st time) and the freaking wrench key slipped off and into the drain hole. Now looking for a magnetic fish rod. Dang it!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2010, 06:27 PM

Rdture, Welcome to AMHD!
    You're responding to a thread that's been closed since 2006. Before you answer look up in the upper left hand corner tosee the date it was posted.
    Regards, tom

Jan 30, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    rdture, Welcome to AMHD!
    You're responding to a thread that's been closed since 2006. Before you answer look up in the upper left hand corner tosee the dare it was posted.
    Regards, tom
    Thanks Speedball, I did see that but figured if the material was still pertinent, then it was OK to add to it. In the future I can star a new thread if that is my acceptable practice.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2010, 11:42 AM

In the future I can star a new thread if that is my acceptable practice.
    New threads are for questions. Then we respond. That's how it's done.
    1st time) and the freaking wrench key slipped off and into the drain hole. Now looking for a magnetic fish rod.
    Your wrench key should be down in the bell of the trap. Can you fish it back with a bent coathanger? Good luck, Tom

Jan 30, 2010, 02:27 PM

Luckily, a neighbor with a magnet-on-telescoping-rod. That did the trick. I was worried that I would just push the wrench further into the pipe. So the magnet was my first go to shot at it.
    Xfilespoker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 02:57 PM
    Very good advice! Thanks! Son of a ***** I hate doing things twice. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Install [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. It was originally roughed in for a toilet and sink, of course, we want a shower as well. The shower will go close to where an existing floor drain was, so I dug up the floor and took out the old floor drain trap, y'd the line and put in a new...

Install a shower drain over slab [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about to install my fiberglass shower and I've done some reading on the process. I am confused about one thing. Which is better to use under the drain, plumbers putty or silicone caulk? I'm leaning towards the putty. I know it's been used for years and has performed well, but I'm wondering...

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

Level concrete or install drain? [ 1 Answers ]

My washer and dryer sit on a concrete slab about 15'x10'. The entire area is covered, but rain water blows in runs down the stairs leading to the area. Unfortuantely the slab is not level and water pools right in front of the washer and dryer. I am considering a number of solutions (in order of...

View more questions Search