Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kirat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Till what outside temperature trane heat pump works in winters
    Hi,I installed a new trane air heat pump about 6 months ago.now outside temp is 6 and my pump is not working.aux heat is coming on automatically.when temp goes to 8 or 10,heat pump comes on again automatically.installer told me that heat pump will do job till -9.9,, when -10 heat pump will shut off automatically and furnace will kick on... I have brand new furnace from trane 96% high efficiency... so tell me why my pump stops working on plus temp instead of minus
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 10:10 PM

Are you taking about temperature in Centegrade?

This article may be useful: http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...5111526.html?9

There are two balance points of interest:

1. One is where the HP just makes up for the losses. Basicically it's when the heatpump runs all the time.

2. There is a second point where the heatpump is totally ineffective.

This article Heat Pumps and Setback Thermostats
    Suggests that one temperature is around 30 deg F where it starts to lose it's efficiency.

It also suggests that at 15 deg F it shuts off.

So, during the 15-30 range based on this example, the HP and aux heat should both be on.

Below 15, only the aux heat operates.

EMERGENCY HEAT just makes sure the compressor never turns on. It's used when the compressor has problems.

A lot of this depends on the thermostat and the system.

Some of this finnesse may be done automatically by the system. Certain thermostats, can be wired with an outdoor sensor and the balance points are set in the thermostat.
    paulmav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Did you get this fixed?
    I have the same issue, they installed my outdoor temp cutoff sensor a few days ago while temps were above freezing Celsius and not that it's -4(27F) heat hump won't go on only the furnace works. With the windshield factor it is 15F though but that should not be a factor in all of this

Quote Originally Posted by kirat View Post
    hi,i installed a new trane air heat pump about 6 months ago.now outside temp is 6 and my pump is not working.aux heat is coming on automatically.when temp goes to 8 or 10,heat pump comes on again automatically.installer told me that heat pump will do job till -9.9,,,,,,when -10 heat pump will shut off automatically and furnace will kick on....i have brand new furnace from trane 96% high efficiency....so tell me why my pump stops working on plus temp instead of minus
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Start your own thread please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL20i heat pump requires Trane 900 series thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if the Trane XL20i heat pump requires the use of Trane's 900 series thermostat or if a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat can be used.

Trane heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased a home with two heat pumps in installed 6/05/05. The down stairs unit makes noise like a jet taking off. I asked the installer if we could slow the air volume down and he responded by saying the factory settings were not changeable. These were state of the art...

3 yr old heat pump, heat works, no cool [ 10 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that was 3 years old in May. We went to change from heating to cooling about a month ago. I noticed later that it wasn't cooling. Checked and found it had tripped the breaker. Reset and instantly threw the breaker again. Called a friend that does A/C work on the side. We...

New Heat Pump does not turn off at temperature setting [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a heat pump from a national company and it was installed in early January, 2008. When the thermostat is set, it will not get to that temperature, but usually stays 2 degree under and runs constantly. Only once or twice has it cut off by itself at the desired setting, and then only for...

View more questions Search