Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taylorcheree16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
    why do dogs pee randomly when sleeping
    My dog is 6 years old, mixed breed, spayed girl. Why is she frequently wetting the bed while sleeping? I always let her out right before I bring her into bed with me. Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:13 PM

She could be incontinent. I would take her to the vet to get her checked out.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 07:28 PM

I will second incontinence.

With older dogs there are a few different forms of incontinence, each has a different treatment.

Sounds to me your dog might have spay incontinence, coarse of action is estrogen tablets.

Just book in an appointment at your vets... most forms can be controlled and managed, you don't have to put up with washing blankets all the time :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 07:39 PM

OMG I DID NOT MEAN TO DISAGREE, CAN SOMEONE TAKE THAT AWAY??
    I am soooooooo sorry shaz, that was excellent advice!
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:23 PM

Haha, don't worry about it, green and red look good together :D
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I will second incontinence.

With older dogs there are a few different forms of incontinence, each has a different treatment.

Sounds to me your dog might have spay incontinence, coarse of action is estrogen tablets.

Just book in an appointment at your vets... most forms can be controlled and managed, you don't have to put up with washing blankets all the time :)
    Hey!! :eek::eek: You puppy just blinked at me!! :eek::eek:
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 08:31 PM

Those big brown eyes staring me down, blinking at me, asking "why Aurora, why?"
    I really am sorry!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Those big brown eyes staring me down, blinking at me, asking "why Aurora, why?"
    I really am sorry!

Sorry Shaz, just had to giggle:):o:rolleyes:
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 26, 2010, 08:37 PM

This sounds like a common condition called spay incontinence. It happens in aprox. Up to 20% of female dogs who under go spaying. My dog got that and she takes one pill of DES a week and that has completely cleared it up. Talk to your vet, there are a couple different treatments. Often DES is tolerated better than phenylpropanolamine, and DES does not cause the hyper excitablility that accompanies use of phenylpropanolamine. With DES, you would give your dog one pill every day for a week, then one pill a week compared to daily pills indefinitely for the phenylpropanolamine.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 09:48 PM

My b*tch is on Propalin and I have seen no behaviour changes.
    She has 0.25ml liquid twice a day.
    After enquiring for weeks at the vets (and dealing with idiotic staff) I finally found out that I can't get the tablets in Aus.

I haven't dealt with spay incontinence but after yet another confusion at the vets they tried to give me estrogen tablets as opposed to her normal propalin because they had written down that's what she had :rolleyes:

And yep... he's blinking is disbelief :D
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Jan 27, 2010, 06:26 AM

That's good. I tried my dog on phenylpropanolamine first, but she could not tolerate it. She is already high strung to begin with, so the vet switched her to DES and that works great.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    That's good. I tried my dog on phenylpropanolamine first, but she could not tolerate it. She is already high strung to begin with, so the vet switched her to DES and that works great.
    Yes I was warned it could cause her to be a bit hyper but she was fine on it, she also had a calm personality to begin with though, perhaps that made a difference, compared to yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why do housebroken dogs pee inside [ 1 Answers ]

Our house broken irish setter, 4 years old, has suddenly started peeing inside the house over the last one week, almost every day. He chooses 2 spots whenever he does so- one outside one toilet, and then inside another toilet. It is strange considering that in the last 4 years every since he was...

Dogs keeping me from sleeping at night. [ 7 Answers ]

Both my 1 year old pups have always slept in the bed with us. Now that they are getting bigger, we are sleeping less. They used to sleep at the bottom of the bed and we really didn't mind it. Now one like to sleep above my head and the other has to be under the blankets and kicks me all night. ...

Sleeping with dogs causing infertility? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I loooove sleeping with my dog. In fact, we share the same bed since I first bought her 2 years ago. My close friends tell me that sleeping with dogs causing infertility caused by a virus called toxoplasmosis. I have searched the internet and almost all the information I received said...

Uses pee pad to pee, but never to poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Chihuahua that’s about 3 months and I trained him to use pee pads in the house, he was doing really good so then I bought a litter box with no lid and put his pee pad in there to try and get him to be box trained, he wouldn’t use it, and started peeing and pooping on the floor, so I took...

Sleeping dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 3 yrs old and has slowly worked his way onto our bed. He sleeps there when we are not home and when we go to bed he's there. Now we have a toddler around the house and he is having some issues with pecking order of the household because he feels higher on the chain because he sleeps in...

View more questions Search