Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosanna-hope Posts: 109, Reputation: 9

Jan 26, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Beginning stages of a cavity in molar and fluoride varnish questions.
    So I went to my dentist today, I'm 14 years old and she said I have the smallest hint of a cavity coming, how can I stop it getting bigger? She put some fluoride varnish on my teeth.. this is the first time I've had anything ever happen to my teeth.. I brush two times a day with Sensodyne gentle whitening toothpaste and rinse with Listerine Total Care. She told me to cut down sugary foods, but I've just got such a sweet tooth! I drink a lot of fruit juice also, and I know that its high in sugars and acids, how can I substitute it?

How can I stop it getting bigger?
    How long until I can eat/drink after having the fuouride toothpaste being put on?
    Am I supposed to brush my teeth the same night I got the varnish put on?

Thank you!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 06:05 PM
    You can eat right away after having fluoride varnish applied. I always recommend leaving the varnish on as long as possible. If you had it applied early today you can brush tonight, if it was done midday I'd suggest waiting until morning to brush.

As for stopping the decay from getting bigger, you have to watch what you eat between meals. Avoid sugary, sticky foods like dried fruits (raisins), caramels, jujubes, etc. Replace your juice with Crystal Light or something similar but water is the best to drink between meals. Remember that breads, crackers, pasta all break down into sticky carbohydrates(sugar) and stick to your teeth.

If you can't get to a toothbrush right after eating, rinse with water or chew a piece of gum that contains xylitol to help reduce the acids.

Remember when brushing to brush the chewing surface of your teeth too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood Stain/Varnish Smell in Clothes Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! We have been doing a lot of remodeling in our home and therefore have been doing a lot of stripping and staining of wood floors and wood work. After doing my laundry this weekend I realized that all of my clothes coming out of the dryer have a chemical smell on them. I have washed and dried...

Styrofoam product to remove varnish [ 4 Answers ]

I had 2 black styrofoam bricks that work terrific for removing varnish from furniture the trouble is that in the process of removing the varnish the bricks wear down quickly. They were given to me to use for this but the man that gave them to me died and now I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone...

Removing varnish [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove varnish from an old teacher's desk? I used BIX Stripper but was not happy about "results".

View more questions Search