Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mghv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
    Brown running well water
    We have a well and up until this morning it was fine. The water coming out of the faucets was very brown. When I tried the sink in the kitchen it started clear and after about 20 seconds began turning brown. I was not using hot water, as I have seen in other posts about hot water causing the rust from the inside of the pipes to come off. And it all happened very quickly-there was no gradual light brown look first, just straight to a watered down coffee look, enough for me to notice it coming out of the faucet while just last night I filled up a glass of water from that same faucet and noticed nothing. Please help- what could it be? It did rain a whole lot in the last few days, is it possible for dirt/mud to get into our well?
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jan 26, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Hi! mghv, welcome to AMHD :)

Quote Originally Posted by mghv View Post
    It did rain a whole lot in the last few days, is it possible for dirt/mud to get into our well?
    Short answer, yes.

Do you have a shallow well (50' or less) or a deep well?
    This happens more frequently with shallow wells.

If your well is drilled into an underground aquifer or river, you may just be seeing the effects of a lot of rain water runoff, especially if the aquifer water level is down due to recent droughts, etc.
    If this is the case, the solids should settle out and the water should clear up.

Do NOT drink this water or cook with it until you have it tested, especially if you have children.

To use for "Black water" Okay.
    To use for "Grey water" You may notice a smell on washed clothes, and irritation after taking a bath or shower. Scum on car after washing.
    Garden plants may or may not be affected.

You may need to decontaminate your system and have the water checked if there is some doubt it may be clean.
    Most State Health Department's offer free testing, only charging for core charge on the bottle, postage, and handling for results.
    Check your State Department of Health for details.

You could go ahead, and decontaminate right now just to be sure. I've known well owner's to do this once a year.

To decontaminate your water supply system, see:
    Well shock procedure: when and how to chlorinate or sterilize a drinking water well

Here's a good place to start, same main site as above:
    Guide to Water Well Diagnosis & Repair; Types of Drinking Water Wells, Well Problems & Repair Advice

Check left side menu for more links to "Well Problems & Repair Advice"

One last thought,
    You should consider installing an in line "whole house filter" after the well pump.

Good luck!

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two hot water tanks on same system 1 sounds like its running water all the time [ 1 Answers ]

On a two hot water tank system,it sounds like hot water is running through one of the hot water pipes all the time

Well running dry + brown sandy water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well and over the past week the water has been getting brown - I think that it is fine sand. Now today, we ran out of water. After shutting down the pump for awhile and not using any water, the pressure tank refilled and the pump ran OK. However, the water is still sandy brown. I am...

Brown Water Coming Out of the Faucets After Water Has Been Shut Off for Awhile [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! Is that normal after the water supply has been shut off for a short or long while? Also, is brown water coming out after doing that a sign that there is something wrong with the plumbing system? Thanks!

Why do I hear water running in my pipes, in a hot water heating system? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system and just recently , I am hearing water running in the pipes all the time.What could be causing this? Please help.

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

View more questions Search