Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csmiddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Leasing laws in Oklahoma
    Our lease/purchase ended and we couldn't obtain a loan. The landlord kept our deposit for "breech of contract" and raised our rent 20% with no notice in October. I advised him we could not afford it and would have to move. I told him in December that we would be out in January which we are. I want to prorate the month less the overpayments he charged for the 3 months. He says no that he keeps everything and we still have to pay the full amount. Who's correct? He said he will take us to court and sue.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiddy View Post
    Our lease/purchase ended and we couldn't obtain a loan. The landlord kept our deposit for "breech of contract" and raised our rent 20% with no notice in October. I advised him we could not afford it and would have to move. I told him in December that we would be out in January which we are. I want to prorate the month less the overpayments he charged for the 3 months. He says no that he keeps everything and we still have to pay the full amount. Who's correct? He said he will take us to court and sue.
    The answer might depend upon specific terms of your contract, but assuming nothing to the contrary in there, it appears that you didn't breach the contract: a lease/purchase agreement normally provides that purchasing is an option, not required.

When did the lease end? End of September? If so, it became a month-to-month tenancy at will and he had the right to up the rent, provided he gave you proper notice. If this happened on October 1st, the effective date should have been November 1. So it looks like you would owe him two months of increased rent.

What do you mean "prorate the month"? Either you owe him for December or not, and normally there would be no ability to pro-rate the rent for that month (so as to only owe for part of the month) if that's what you mean.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 01:15 PM
    What did the contract say regarding obtaining financing? How long did you occupy the premises?

What date did the increased rent start? You stated that he started charging rent at a 20% increase - what were the dollar amounts of the original rent and the increased rent?

What was the exact date that you provided him with your notice of intent to vacate? What was the exact date that you vacated?
    csmiddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The answer might depend upon specific terms of your contract, but assuming nothing to the contrary in there, it appears that you didn't breach the contract: a lease/purchase agreement normally provides that purchasing is an option, not required.

When did the lease end? End of September? If so, it became a month-to-month tenancy at will and he had the right to up the rent, provided he gave you proper notice. If this happened on October 1st, the effective date should have been November 1. So it looks like you would owe him two months of increased rent.

What do you mean "prorate the month"? Either you owe him for December or not, and normally there would be no ability to pro-rate the rent for that month (so as to only owe for part of the month) if that's what you mean.
    I wanted to prorate the month of January since we moved out on the 17th (I notified him on Dec. 18th). There was no notice of an increase unti he showed up for the October payment on the 1st. The lease ended on the end of September. He said he could keep my deposit since I didn't buy the house.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
    I wanted to prorate the month of January since we moved out on the 17th (I notified him on Dec. 18th). There was no notice of an increase unti he showed up for the October payment on the 1st. The lease ended on the end of September. He said he could keep my deposit since I didn't buy the house.
    Based upon what I'm reading here:
    Oklahoma Renters Information
    I think you may be able to pro-rate your rent for January. It doesn't say that you need to provide notice for the lease term, which would be at the beginning of the month.

As for your deposit, I don't know what happened with it. First you said he kept it and was claiming that you had breached your contract; now you're saying he gave your deposit back.

Unfortunately, I also cannot find anything regarding the amount of time that a landlord is required to give you before increasing your rent. I know in my state, Wisconsin, I'm required to give 30 days notice before I can raise a tenant's rent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 06:56 PM

It is a down payment on a contract for deed, not a deposit, and if you fail to purchase the home, you lose the down payment. That is how home sells work.

Normally they can change your rent with a 30 day notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing laws in Texas. [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is being transferred to another state. I was wondering if there was some way to cancel our lease and get our deposit back. I not what will happen if we just leave the lease all together. What is the worse thing that could happen to us? Please Help!!

Age in Oklahoma [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I'm 15 and I called this place in OKC that was looking really clean and good and junk. My mom ok'd the piercing and when I called I asked how much and what I needed to birng. She said that they can't pierce my belly button until I'm 16 and my bestie got her's done a 14 . So does it just...

Apartment Leasing Laws [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a Law in the stated of Delaware that says a leasing office MUST raise your rent every year?

Leasing Laws with a Roommate [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get out of a lease that I just started with a roommate. We were living as roommates in a house an decided to get a really nice apartment. We signed a 13 month lease. Its been about a month and he is eating all of my food now and not helping with all of the bills because he is working as...

View more questions Search