Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josmama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Do you change the name on the deed of your house after spouse dies
    My mom in law passed away last month. My father in law wants to know, does he have to change house into his name? Or does he wait till he sells house? Yes, It was joint and yes they had a will. Thank You
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 05:24 PM

How as the deed written ?

If it was written so that the other gets it upon death, no need to change anything. If done properly it will not have to go though probate and the will will not effect it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 11:36 AM
    I agree, but this is an issue that is driven by state law, so it would probably be best to have your father-in-law run it by a local attorney.
    carol810 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
    My husband died I would like my stepson to inherit hose and property upon my death
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
    Carol:

You can do a quick deed to put his name on the house, but that is considered to be a GIFT of half the value of the home, so a gift tax return may be required. No gift tax will be due, but the return WILL be needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife dies and does not leave house to spouse, I have a marriage license, [ 4 Answers ]

My wife of 27 years has passes away, she left the house we lived in together to her son, I am 86 years of age and could be homeless soon. She passed away 17 months ago=do I have any rights to the property. We have a marriage certificate but do not have a marriage license, I have shared all bills...

Adding a spouse to a house deed [ 1 Answers ]

How would my husband g oabout adding my name to his house deed. He bought the house 10 yrs ago, we got married 3 yrs ago.

QuitClaim Deed on House in favor of spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings: Our retirement nest egg is the equity on the house - we live in Illinois. My spouse don't work. I am self employed (no employees - but uses subcontractors). I can get sued if the subcontractors don't perform. I am not party to any litigation currently and no potential problems are...

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

Deleting name of recently died spouse on house deed [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently paased away after a about with cancer. I was told to have his name removed from our house deed, which we jointly owned. Was just wondering how to go about this, like who to contact or go to for this process. Thanks for your help and god bless.

View more questions Search