Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistersmithers Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 02:13 PM
    Wisconsin statutes chapter 802
    Is there a form letter or sample 'answer' compliant with Wisconsin 802 for a civil judgment filed with two counts? It is a personal debt with a bank... thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 10:44 AM

I find no forms but what is required and the manner in which the response must be framed is here - http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0802.pdf
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mistersmithers View Post
    Is there a form letter or sample 'answer' compliant with Wisconsin 802 for a civil judgment filed with two counts? It is a personal debt with a bank...thanks
    What type of answer are you trying to file? Are you admitting or denying the debt?

You said this is on "two counts"; have two separate cases been filed against you?

Jan 18, 2010, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    What type of answer are you trying to file? Are you admitting or denying the debt?

You said this is on "two counts"; have two separate cases been filed against you?
    Admitting the debt... I am trying to gather a possible settlement amount to avoid court if possible... one case two counts... meaning one credit card, one car loan, same credit union... same lawsuit...
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Admitting the debt...i am trying to gather a possible settlement amount to avoid court if possible...one case two counts...meaning one credit card, one car loan, same credit union...same lawsuit...
    Have you tried contacting the creditor to try and reach a settlement out of court? If you admit the debt, then they don't need to settle - they'll get a judgment for the full amount. You can work out some type of payment agreement, but it will still be for the full amount.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2010, 07:43 AM

As I recall Wisconsin 802 gives the procedures for responding to a civil suit. So just follow the instructions in it.

But This is right. Trying to reach a settlement with them should be done outside the court proceedings. But, if they have gone so far as to go to court, they may still want to get a judgment even if you reach a settlement to protect themselves if you renege on the settlement.

Jan 19, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Have you tried contacting the creditor to try and reach a settlement out of court? If you admit the debt, then they don't need to settle - they'll get a judgment for the full amount. You can work out some type of payment agreement, but it will still be for the full amount.
    I have sent a letter(s) to the bank and their attorney last Friday stating my intention to pay and willingness to settle along with a balance sheet and income statement showing at this time I'm unemployed and insolvent... because I have received copies of these debts being 'validated' its pretty hard to deny my signatures etc. without lying and feeling like a total douchebag... but I will show up in court to at least prevent a default judgment... they gave me 40 days from Dec 29th for an 'answer' to each count per ch. 802...

Jan 19, 2010, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As I recall Wisconsin 802 gives the procedures for responding to a civil suit. So just follow the instructions in it.

But This is right. trying to reach a settlement with them should be done outside the court proceedings. But, if they have gone so far as to go to court, they may still want to get a judgment even if you reach a settlement to protect themselves if you renege on the settlement.
    So here's a scenario... this debt is actually my wife's with her old last name... can she file bankruptcy without it affecting me her husband with Wisconsin's marital laws? Or would I still have to be involved in that somehow? I'm curious why the bank never came to repo the car that secured this debt? I also think its interesting there was no attempt to collect this debt(s) since 2005 when it went into default... then all of a sudden one month or two of a 'law firm' debt collector calls then court papers... can I just return the car or is it way too late now?
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 08:13 AM
    so heres a scenario...this debt is actually my wife's with her old last name...can she file bankruptcy without it affecting me her husband with Wisconsin's marital laws? Or would i still have to be involved in that somehow? I'm curious why the bank never came to repo the car that secured this debt? I also think its interesting there was no attempt to collect this debt(s) since 2005 when it went into default...then all of a sudden one month or two of a 'law firm' debt collector calls then court papers...can i just return the car or is it way too late now?
    They don't always repo the car; sometimes they just obtain the judgment because it's more cost-effective for them than having to re-sell the vehicle.

They didn't worry about trying to collect because Wisconsin statute of limitations is 6 years, so they had until 2011 to sue you.

Returning the car won't do any good because it's value had depreciated far too much at this point. You'll still owe the difference between what you financed it for and what they can sell it for now.

EDIT: And setting aside the legality, I commend you for at least trying to make the effort to pay rather than just ignoring the debt or denying it altogether.

Jan 19, 2010, 08:20 AM
    They don't always repo the car; sometimes they just obtain the judgment because it's more cost-effective for them than having to re-sell the vehicle.

They didn't worry about trying to collect because Wisconsin statute of limitations is 6 years, so they had until 2011 to sue you.

Returning the car won't do any good because it's value had depreciated far too much at this point. You'll still owe the difference between what you financed it for and what they can sell it for now.

EDIT: And setting aside the legality, I commend you for at least trying to make the effort to pay rather than just ignoring the debt or denying it altogether.
    That's what I figured... I guess its up to them if they want to pursue their 'security' of the loan or not... we will just see what their attorneys say about the letter I sent and hope they can offer something doable...
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
    Thats what i figured...i guess its up to them if they want to pursue their 'security' of the loan or not... we will just see what their attorneys say about the letter i sent and hope they can offer something doable...
    At least you're trying; that's much more than a lot of people do.

Hopefully they'll work with you. Obviously, you'll have to make reasonable payments and sustain them. I've seen cases get dismissed when the defendant sticks with the payment agreement.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chapter 802 of the Wisconsin Statutes [ 20 Answers ]

How do you go about writing an answer, as that term is used in chapter 802 of the Wisconsin statutes?

Responding to a summons in terms of Wisconsin statutes chapter 802 [ 8 Answers ]

I have received a summons and I have 20 days to respond with a written answer in terms of the Wisconsin statutes in chapter 802. I have read chapter 802 and I don't understand still how to write the response. I have also called the court house and tried to talk to someone in the civil division and...

Chapter 802 of the WI statutes answer form. [ 2 Answers ]

We were just served with papers for foreclosure of our home. It states that we have 45 days in which we have to respond to it, and that the answers must follow the requirements of the statutes. We can't afford an attorney so I hope you can help me with how I need to write this. I already know that...

View more questions Search