Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrcantfixit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Toilet shut off valve won't turn on
    When fixing my running toilet, I shut off water to toilet by turning shut off valve off and after several times turning back on an then off again, now it does not seem to turn back on when turning counterclockwise all the way to on position. The toilet tank is empty and no new water is filling it up, where before the water began streaming in as soon as I began turning the valve towards the on position. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcantfixit View Post
    When fixing my running toilet, I shut off water to toilet by turning shut off valve off and after several times turning back on an then off again, now it does not seem to turn back on when turning counterclockwise all the way to on position. The toilet tank is empty and no new water is filling it up, where before the water began streaming in as soon as I began turning the valve towards the on position. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Which ballcock do you have? (see images) Let me know, Tom
    Attached Images

Jan 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

The first one
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 16, 2010, 03:43 PM

Close the shut off valve all the way again, then disconnect the supply line off the top of the valve, slowly turn the valve back on(have a towel handy to catch any water) and let me know if you have water at this point. This will let us know if it is a problem with the shut off valve or the fill valve(ballcock).

Jan 16, 2010, 04:06 PM

Yes, after disconnecting supply line, I turned valve just a bit and water started gushing. I quickly turned off. What next?
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 16, 2010, 04:17 PM

Your fill valve(ball cock) in the toilet is plugged. Going off Toms pic here(#1). Pop the cap off (located at very top of fill valve). Then you will see two plastic tabs that you have to lift that will allow you to turn the arm assembly counter clockwise and it will pop out. Under that you will see a black diaphram. With this all removed, turn the water back on to flush any debris out of the fill valve. If you get good water out of the top of the fill valve with these parts removed, clean them up and reinstall and you should be back in business. Let me know if this works for you.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2010, 06:21 PM

Yes Mygirlsdad have given you excellent advice, I am attaching the images below follow the steps, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 06:14 PM

Great pics John. Thanks.
    shinysoul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
    I have the same problem but my toilet is the second image. Any idea how to fix?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
    Hello Shinysoul,

You posted your thread to a 3 year old, you could have start your own new thread, any how do as the Mygirlsdad suggested in post #4 if that is OK, your next step is to close the angle valve under the toilet tank remove the tank lid, remove the screws on top of your fill valve, put a towel on top of the fill valve and turn on the water to flush out the debris, now inspect the seal for condition if OK, install and check, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shut off valve for toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to install a shutoff valve for the toiled. There's just a screw @ the end of the pipe where a valve should have been. I need to shut off the water to the tank so I can change a flapper.

Toilet shut off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

Cannot shot it off it is frozen in the on position . Cannot shut it off. How can I free it up so it can close. It has been in the position for the last 10 years. Any help will do . Thanks inadvance for the help!:)

Shut-ff valve hard to turn ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had a water shut-off valve leaking a bit and tightened up the bonnet packing nut. That corrected the leak but the valve is a bit hard to turn, not too hard, just fairly Stiff. Can these valve stems be lubricated or is it NOT a good idea to do that? Thanks, Mike

Toilet water shut off valve [ 3 Answers ]

My shut off valve to the toilet will not shut the water off and water is leaking from the tank bolts? Can anyone help with the answer to both questions? Thanks

Where's toilet shut off valve? [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot find a valve to shut off my constantly running toilet, till the plumber can arrive. Every other place I've lived has had a separate shutoff valve for each toilet, sink, etc. I've looked in, under & around the back of the tank, but there is no valve on the pipe in the bathroom. I've also...

View more questions Search