How to calculate molecular weight of air
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 12:35 AM

Well, all you can do is approximate it.

What is the composition of air?
    Nitrogen gas 78%
    Oxygen 21%

An approximate molecular weight would be the average of those two gases which are the most abundant.

78% is of mass 28 g
    21% is of mass 32 g.

100% would have approximately

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If CO2's molecular weight is 3x heavier than air, how can it rise into our atmosphere [ 3 Answers ]

I hear and read that CO2 (weight:12+16+16=44) causes global warming. The EPA has even designated it as a pollutant. Yet it weighs three times the average molecular weight of air (78% N=14, 21% O=16 and .9% Ar=40). If CO2 is heavier than air, and there is only .038% of our atmosphere, is there...

Weight of air over lake [ 3 Answers ]

I was trying to solve this problem, very simply it is: what is the weight of water over lake superior? I did some research and deciced top solve the problem in atmosphere levels But I had no idea of how to use units of volume, mass, and mainly pascals(air preassure) this is what my plan...

Molecular Weight; Molarity? [ 7 Answers ]

The molecular weight of NaCl is 58.44 grams/mole. If you had a 1.0 molar solution (1.0 M) you would have to put 58.44 g of salt in 1.0 liter of solution. How many moles of NaCl would you have in 100 mL of this solution?

Molecular genetics [ 1 Answers ]

Hello every one. I'm finding difficulties to answer this question, can anyone help me to find the correct anwer. Please I really need it soon for my final report lab. The question is, briefly indicate the structural features of minor groove ligands. And another thing I need to write a short intro...

View more questions Search