Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmccalla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Basement washing machine w/o sump pump?
    How high can a washing machine pump it's drain water out? We want to move our washing machine to the basement and wonder if we can get away without installing a sump pump.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2006, 07:16 AM
    How high will it have to pump? This won't be your biggest concern. Starting from the bottom of the discharge hose a check valve will have to be installed next to the exit point of the hose so when the pump stops the dirty water won't drain back into the washer. And that's just for openers. Next you will have to cut in a trap in the main and run a vent from the trap to the roof or revent back into a existing dry vent. Wait! You're not done yet. Because connecting into a overhead sewer won't leave you enough room for a 38 inch stand pipe out of the trap you will have to install a compression fitting on the trap raiser for the hose and make it a closed system.
    Still want to move the washer to the basement? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drain in basement backwash [ 2 Answers ]

I want to hook up a basement-level washing machine drain directly into the main sewer pipe leading from the house, which is about 7 feet up off the basement floor, but the water pressure coming from the drainpipe coming out of the washing machine can't compete with the force of the water coming...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Basement Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a washing machine in a concrete framed 113 year old house without floor drains or plumbing. Main sewer lines run above basement level. How or what to do about such a thing? Thanks...

Can't seem to get the pump off the washing machine motor... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool washing machine, and am pretty sure I need to replace the motor coupler. I got the cabinet off; unclipped the pump (removed the hoses -- oops, probably didn't have to do that); and it LOOKS like the pump could be coaxed off the motor -- and it almost does. The bolt-like drive...

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search