Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wicklinematson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 07:55 PM
    How can you tell if dead animal or sewer smell?
    I have spent a couple of hours looking at posts and trying to decide if I have a septic problem or a dead rat under my bathroom floor in the crawl space.

We have had a rodent problem in our attic and in our crawlspace and have put poison in both areas. We killed one critter in the attic, smelled the result in our bedroom and removed a dead rat from the attic. We are trying to figure out if we have another dead rat in the crawl space or if it is a plumbing/septic issue. There is a distinct odor coming from a utility bathroom off the kitchen. We went into the crawl space to find the decaying animal and couldn't find anything on the ground or in the area we suspected. There is insulation on the bathroom floor that appears to be "disturbed" but we couldn't find anything in the insulation. We didn't tear it down but can do so if we need to. The smell has been with us for about two weeks now.

I am wondering if there is a distinct difference between a SEWER SMELL and a DEAD ANIMAL SMELL... I don't want to start ripping down insulation if it is a septic issue. How can I rule out one or the other? I have noticed an increase in flies in the house which seems odd. Does this point to a dead animal vs. a septic issue?

I am stumped!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 10:48 PM
    If it's a dead rat it will stop smelling eventually. If it has been two weeks, and animal smell might be diminishing.

The sewer might never go away, unless the problem is fixed.

I have smelled many dead rats in walls of a building I used to work in and the smell went away after a couple of weeks. It was pretty gross at the time:rolleyes:
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 03:43 AM

Flies are not a clue. They're just as happy with sewage as a carcass. Pull the insulation, and while you're in the crawlspace, look for wet spots which would indicate leaks in either water or sewage lines.

Two weeks is an extremely long time for carrion to continue smelling. 3-5 days is more normal. Change the filters on your air handler to make sure you haven't been recirculating the odor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad. We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main. The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get...

7 year old neutered male cat brought in a dead animal [ 2 Answers ]

My 7yr old cat, Ron, has never brought things in from outside. Not even sticks, much less something that was once running around. Over the weekend he brought a dead squirrel in set it in front of our front door and appeared very proud of it. I know some cats do this, but he never has. I was...

How do you get rid of dead animal smell? [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a rodent killed inside of crawl space smells fowl, canno't seem to find culprit how do we get rid of smell/

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

Dead Animal Smell [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a "dead animal smell" in the front of my house from time to time, mostly around my driveway. I do not smell anything in my house at all and I do not see any dead animals outside my house. What could this be and what should I do about it? It's a faint odor, not too strong, but it's...

View more questions Search