Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maybole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 01:09 PM
    How do you get a stain out of hardwood
    Can someone help me. At Christmas my wife put a red skirt under the xmas tree and after watering the tree the skirting had got wet and the red dye stained the hardwood floor making it red blogges all around a 3 foot area how can I remove this if possible or what other advice can you suggest. The hardwood is a light colour.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:49 PM

What kind of finish was on the hardwood?
    maybole Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 07:13 PM

As far as I know because the finish was already on the floors when we bought the house four years ago is Vanish.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 07:38 PM

Wipe the stain first with mineral spirits to see if it superficial. If this does not remove the stain try something "hotter" ike acetone or laquer thinner after you have tested in a hidden spot. As solvents get hotter we will eventually find that the stain comes out or the first dissolves, we want the earlier mto happen first Also try wood bleach in a hidden spot or just a single drop on the stain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood [ 1 Answers ]

Ok Guys, This will be quite a lengthy post, but I feel the more information the better. I will post this in three parts that can be answered in full or partial. First I will lay out a little background. I am currently in the process of renovating a house with the intentions to live in. It was...

Hardwood floors [ 1 Answers ]

Hardwood floors in the kitchen and bathroom are five years old. They recently started creaking in places when you walk on them. How do you stop the noise?

Hardwood floors [ 2 Answers ]

In our house there is an area of about 4 feet by 1foot of damage that we had to remove. I would like to sand and finish the floors but I am not sure on how to match up a repair job. The floors are original to the house. Old tongue and groove style. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, any...

Hardwood flooring [ 5 Answers ]

we have been in the process of remodeling certain parts of our home. we would like actual hardwood, however, the price has kinda discouraged me in doing such. We have come across some hardwood that we like. its the kind you snap in place...? anyway, to get to my point, does anyone know the...

View more questions Search