Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sldcusmcmike Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Can I run my electric furnace on a generator?
    I have a goodman airhandler (mbr1600aa-1aa) with a 15kw heat pack(hkp1500). It will allow me to turn off the 30a breaker and run as a 10k, but I want to be able to turn off the 60a and run it as a 5k for heating my house when powered by a 6250 kn generator. I know I would need to transfer my power supply for my controls off the 60a breaker to the 30a breaker, but what do I do the sync switches?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 01:37 PM
    Best to post this over in electric. I have done this before BUT I do not conside this a good choice. Check with them.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:48 PM
    What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sldcusmcmike View Post
    but what do I do the the sync switches?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 02:40 PM

He probably means sequencers, but let him clarify. How Do Sequencers Work in Electric Furnaces? | eHow.com

I'll comment more later, but I will add:

It does depend on element size and the elements are usually sized differently. e.g. You could have a 15 KW element and a 5 KW element. The 15's could be made up of two 5's.

It could take some effort and expense to "make" at 20 KW element behave as any element between 0 and 15 KW. The part to do this isn't cheap.

An example:

http://instrumentation-central.com/S...pci_series.pdf

The manufacturer would have to be questioned to what happens on start-up, power loss/power up, loss of setput signal/restoration

Something to think about.

Putting elements in series MIGHT be a possibility,but it might not be the power level you desire. I doubt it would work.

Eurotherm makes some of the best stuff out there.

So, it's entirely possible to run a system with such a controller and with a little magic so it so it runs at 100% and X% based using a very small switch.

You could run it at say 5 KW and 1 KW based on a simple switch. Giving you a total of 15 KW in one one and 6 KW in the other.

I'd have to brush up before committing to a design.

One way is to ignore the sequencer's all together, use a small PLC and duct temperature and roll your own.

6 KW and maybe 5, 10 and 15 KW based on temperature rise.

Not cheap.

Jan 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
    To be clear, I have 15k total. There are three 5k elements. Tow f them work off a 2p60a and the other off a 2p30a breaker. Ok, I got it up and running. I switched the control power wires from the 10kw(60a) breaker over to the 5kw(30a)breaker. This gave me the 5k heat but no blower. So I switched the blower feed that was on one of the 10k legs, over to one of the 5k legs and all works well. So now, I can have some heat running off my generator when the power goes down. Thanks for your hel folks!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 09:37 PM
    I'll assume you have an all electric home. Are you planning to run anything else on the generator?

Jan 15, 2010, 05:04 AM
    No, it's got propane for dryer and stove. Every year, the power goes out after ice storms for a couple days. We can get by with just the furnace and a light or two. This was for emergancy heat only.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 09:09 AM
    We have a similar situation here in Missouri with ice storms. I purchased a small propane stove / fireplace for part of the house to take care of the heat and left the furnace alone. And I do have a generator to take care of the freezer and refrigerator, and necessary lights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York scroll Compressor won't run on generator power [ 5 Answers ]

I upgraded to a York 15 SEER 4 ton 2 stage AC (DNX024-048) I also have a Generac 20kw natural gas generator. My previous 4 ton 10SEER AC (with a much higher LRA) started just fine on generator power. The new unit's compressor won't start on generator power. The fan will run and it will attempt...

Run a Lennox Furnace on Generator power [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All, Can I run my newer (2004) NG Lennox Furnace on the Generator? Sorry I don't have the model # but I am sure it is a "Builders Special" Or should I just use that circuit for General Lights on my Transfer Switch? Thank You in Advance!!

Electric generator wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I have a DeVilbiss electric generator 5000 watt 120/240 volt @ 41.7/20.8 amp- it has a switch that connects the 240 volt . It has one 120 volt outlet and one 120 volt 4 prong receptacle. As stated , it has a switch to connect the 240 volt capability. What I want to do is make a new pannel for...

Trying to run our food trailer with a 15000watt generator [ 1 Answers ]

We have this gen. trying to run our food concession trailer. The trailer has a breaker box with all 20 amp breakers.I think all the wiring is 15 amp wire. I use 30 amp rv extension cords 60 to 90 feet depending on how close I can set the trailer due to the loud noisy of the gen. We have 2 steam...

View more questions Search