Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambojoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Am I in the right relationship
    I have been with the same guy for 4 1/2 years. We have been enaged for over 3 yrs. Just a short background. I am educated with a good career and come from a family of hardworkers. He is from a good family but education is not important and he is "self-employed" Well I moved 24 hrs away from my family and friends to be with him and got a great job. Well he has now decided that he doesn't want any bills and sold our property and moved 2 hours away to a friends house where he can live for "free." I couldn't find a place to live for myself and animals so I had to send my dogs with him. Now he wants me to quit my job and live for "free" with him. He doesn't get why I am upset and why we aren't married yet. I feel like if I have to everything by myself and what is the point in being with someone if you have no support. There is so much more but am I wrong for feeling this way and wrong for not marrying him yet like he claims?? Should I just tell him to get lost?
    UnluckyDucky Posts: 210, Reputation: 110

Jan 6, 2010, 05:38 PM
    The fact that you are questioning whether you should be in this relationship already speaks volumes in itself.

Did he even discuss the decision to sell the property with you? He appears to be making decisions that affect the both of your lives without fully taking your situation into consideration or even your input. If you stay with this guy, I foresee more of the same kind of behavior from him.

You're not wrong for feeling this way and you're definitely not wrong for not marrying him yet. I'm not going to tell you to dump this guy - that's ultimately your choice. I do want to reiterate that if you decide to stay in this situation, be prepared for the possibility that this kind of stuff will continue to happen throughout your entire relationship.

You have to decide if his actions are for your best benefit or not, then make a decision that's best for you.
    Metalhead11592 Posts: 157, Reputation: 11

Jan 6, 2010, 06:51 PM

Dear Ambojoy,
    I agree with Ducky, you have to see what's good for you rather than let him choose anything regardless of how you feel.
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

Jan 6, 2010, 07:07 PM

You need to make a life for yourself, and if he is holding you back, then you should move on
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 07:46 PM

I Think you see for yourself that you will never be happy with the way he does things so what the point of beating a dead horse?

Do your thing your way, and then you will at least be happy.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 09:17 PM

You and him value different things and marriage at this point should be the furthest thing from your mind and is the least ofr your problems. He whether live at a friend house for free than have his own>>this speaks volumes about his character. Your so better off with him, believe me.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 02:57 AM

Time to breakup-you two aren't on the same page-as I think you realise as you are here asking for advice.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 06:18 AM

You two are so far off the page of what the other wants I don't see it ever getting back on. There has to be more, for someone to just up and quit like that and life "free"
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jan 7, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ambojoy View Post
    I have been with the same guy for 4 1/2 years. We have been enaged for over 3 yrs. Just a short background. I am educated with a good career and come from a family of hardworkers. He is from a good family but education is not important and he is "self-employed" Well I moved 24 hrs away from my family and friends to be with him and got a great job. Well he has now decided that he doesn't want any bills and sold our property and moved 2 hours away to a friends house where he can live for "free." I couldn't find a place to live for myself and animals so I had to send my dogs with him. Now he wants me to quit my job and live for "free" with him. He doesn't get why I am upset and why we aren't married yet. I feel like if I have to everything by myself and what is the point in being with someone if you have no support. There is so much more but am I wrong for feeling this way and wrong for not marrying him yet like he claims??? Should I just tell him to get lost?
    "Engaged for 3 years"... red flag. "Live for free"... no such thing. Someone is footing your bill. "Want's you to quit your job"... that's just CRAZY! He is NOT a support, he is a drain on you. If you did not feel like this was all wrong, I would be worried about you. Yes, tell him to GET LOST!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
    He sounds like he's not very motivated to do anything and doesn't feel bad taking free handouts. And he's trying to drag you down with him.

Is that the type of husband you want?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does this mean for my relationship? [ 80 Answers ]

I get upset/mad/sad/jealous when anything other than me makes my girlfriend happy. When something other than her makes me happy she's happy for me unless she's hiding it from me. Why do I feel like this and what can I do to stop it? We're 20 and have been dating for 14 months now and it's always...

Relationship problems in 2nd week of relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some meaningful advice on my situation. If not, I really don't know what to do. The whole summer, a girl I work with had been trying to hook me up with this friend of hers who was interested in me. I saw a picture of her, and she was cute.. But everyone is cute, so if I...

After a 4 year relationship I got tired of my relationship and broke up! What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I’m a gay guy (36 yo) and I dated for 4 years this BI guy(40 yo), at the beginning it was a bit hard for me, I’m very comfortable with being gay! Came out 8 years ago, any way, at the beginning of the relationship I had to pretend in front of his friends that we were just friends, some times after...

Relationship with my ex [ 1 Answers ]

I ask my ex could I move in with her so I could help out with rent,but she has a boyfriend that comes over a lot even when I'm there and I can't say anything because its her apartment and I needed somewhere to stay.The problem is that she still wants sex sometimes with me when her man is...

Relationship [ 1 Answers ]

How do you deal with neglet in a relationship When the man that is suppose to be loving you is busy pleasing himself I dedicate so much time with him and kids that I really haven / taken any time for myself I really feel like so much is passing me by

View more questions Search