Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serenidy21001 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 04:34 PM
    If my parents became citizens before I was 16-18, am I a citizen?
    My cousin said that her mom became a citizen before she was 16-18, does that legaly make her a citizen? Or does she still need to apply for citizenship? She s now over the age of 20.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 04:39 PM

What country are you talking about

Tick
    serenidy21001 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 04:43 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned it is for the United States of America. I'm not sure how to assist her on finding information. Any advise or thoughts would really be appreciated :-)
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 09:03 PM

It depends... if the naturalized parent(s) included the children in the application, then the answer is yes... BUT if they failed to do it... the children won't have any status. Need more details...
    tufa4311 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Apr 4, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Depends on when the parents became US citizens. If they became US citizens between 2/26/2001 - 5/24/1934 then both her parents had to have become USC before her 18th birthday, and she had to be a permanent resident (have a green card) before 18 and be unmarried. If only one of her parents became a USC then she would only become a USC if her parents were legally separated or divorced before she turned 18 and the USC parent had sole or joint custody of her. If her mom became a USC after 2/26/2001 then only one of her parents needs to be a USC and she needs to be a permanent resident and be under 18.
    http://www.corporateprobono.org/archive/resources/resource1343.pdf
    wilsongpanoy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2010, 09:40 AM

@lawanwadee - in petitioning a child... and he was approved last December 2009 and he is turning 21 this may 26 2010.. how about that.. what he would do? [ I-130 ] any suggestions would be really appreciated :)
    wilsongpanoy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tufa4311 View Post
    Depends on when the parents became US citizens. If they became US citizens between 2/26/2001 - 5/24/1934 then both her parents had to have become USC before her 18th birthday, and she had to be a permanent resident (have a green card) before 18 and be unmarried. If only one of her parents became a USC then she would only become a USC if her parents were legally seperated or divorced before she turned 18 and the USC parent had sole or joint custody of her. If her mom became a USC after 2/26/2001 then only one of her parents needs to be a USC and she needs to be a permanent resident and be under 18.
    http://www.corporateprobono.org/arch...source1343.pdf
    In petitioning a child... and he was approved last December 2009 and he is turning 21 this may 26 2010.. how about that.. what he would do? [ I-130 ] any suggestions would be really appreciated
    maithao Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 03:43 PM
    OK then if the children was included on the form when their mom became a citizen and the parents were divorced and that makes them citizens as well is that it then or what's the next step that the kids have to do once they reached 18
    maithao Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 03:45 PM
    OK so if everything was done correctly by the mother and she added the kids to the form that means they are citizens as well now what's the next steps once the kids turn 18 nothing or is there more that has to be done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a canadian citizen with criminal record married to us citizens how to immigrate [ 1 Answers ]

I am married for more then 10 years to my US citizens wife. I have a criminal record that stop me to enter to live with my wife already in US what are my options

If my husbands parents became usa citizens when my husband was 14? [ 2 Answers ]

Does that mean he is a citizen too? He came to the usa when he was 2 yrs old. His parents became citizens in 1982 at that time my husband was 12. He has no paper work showing he is a citizen or nothing he has been working and voting since he was old enough but, he has no papers to show he is a...

How US citizen can apply for his parents become residents [ 1 Answers ]

My question is how can a US citizen can apply for his parents to become american residents?

View more questions Search