Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prescious92 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
    How much state tax and federal tax must be taken out of my pension check
    Just widowed. I get a pension check for $1114.00 a month I believe you have to take as much as 20% for taxes, but how do I know how much Federal tax to take out and how much State tax to take out. Who gets what??

Jan 5, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescious92 View Post
    How much state tax and how much federal tax should I take out a month if I get $1114.00 monthly. ????
    I know I have to take out at least 20% out of it, I just don't know how much out should go to the state and to the federal
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 07:04 PM

When my husband died I was furnished with a form with which to declare the number of dependents I had. His employer then did the math, same as a W-2.

Is that your question? Where do you get the 20% figure?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2010, 07:24 PM

I've merged your threads. Please use the reply options for a follow-up. Do not start a new thread.

None of us can really answer this without knowing more about your situation. You should consult a tax professional to advise you.

Jan 5, 2010, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    When my husband died I was furnished with a form with which to declare the number of dependents I had. His employer then did the math, same as a W-2.

Is that your question? Where do you get the 20% figure?
    Sorry about that. I didn't realize I had an answer. Didn't have my glasses on and I couldn't see clearly. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescious92 View Post
    Sorry about that. i didn't realize i had an answer. Didn't have my glasses on and I couldn't see clearly. Thanks

No problem - did you get the forms from the pension company?

Where did you get the 20% figure?

I'm sorry for your loss - it's brutal to be widowed and then have to go through all of the jumps that widows have to go through. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Corporations: State Income Tax deductible for Federal Inc. Tax [ 8 Answers ]

I am preparing my 1120 Fed. Inc. Tax return and am a little confused about how State Income taxes accrued during the year play in the determination of the Federal Inc. Tax Payable. Logically, it should look something like this: Steps 1) First, create the P&L Statement following the IRS...

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

Federal Income Tax and AS state tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, My husband has a non taxable income from the VA. My income bracket is about $23K/yr and we used not pay taxes (claimed exempt) yrs ago because my yrly income was used to be 10K/yr. Since I got employed recently this November 2008, I do not know if we can still declare exempt for...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

View more questions Search