Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barrroth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Open or closed cold air returns during winter months
    I have electric heat with heat pump each major room has cold air returns near floor and 1 near the ceiling. Which 1 should be open and which 1closed during the winter heating season
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 3, 2010, 10:53 AM
    It all depends upon weather or not the return airs were designed to be blocked seasonally or if they should be left open all year.

Usually you close the top during the heat season to force the lower cold air back to the furnace and the reverse in the summer by closing the bottom to force the unit to draw in warm air in the summer. But the big question is was your system really designed to utilize this or are they supposed to both be left open all the time. To little return air can have damaging consequences to the equipment.

There is no way I can tell from here how your system is designed or if your system meets the minimum return air requirements with all the lower OR higher return airs closed off as in for seasonal use. Just giving you all the facts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air returns-open/close? [ 4 Answers ]

Each one of my bedrooms has two cold air returns. One is located near the floor and has a grill that can be opened & closed. The one located near the ceiling is just a grill. I know hot air rises, cold air is heavier, etc. When should the bottom one be opened or closed-summer/winter seasons? ...

Cold air return near ceiling in winter - bad idea? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some temperature issues going on in my house and am wondering if it might have to do with the air return vent. We have 4 floors - the basement (which is finished living area) is fine as long as all the vents on the 1st floor are closed; the 1st floor is fine with the vents closed; the 2nd...

Fireplace door leaking cold winter air. [ 1 Answers ]

We don't use our fireplace at all. However, the fireplace door is leaking cold winter air coming down the chimney. What can I use/do to seal the openings along the hinges? Thanks, K

Cold air returns [ 2 Answers ]

My cold air returns ar located main floor on the floor below is insulated garage where furnace is located. New home however is it normal to feel cold air blow up through the returns whwn its windy out?

Cold Air Returns [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 900 sq ft ranch w/basement home that I am remodeling. The furnace is a propane forced air and is located down stairs. I had two cold air returns upstairs and have closed one of them off. This has not seemed to have hurt the heating/furnace at all. I do not have a cold air return from...

View more questions Search