Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laynerd Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 05:16 PM
    Distribution by Executor of Estate Assets to Heirs
    Reference: State of Virginia

My spouse's Mother died over two years ago or November 2007. Only part (some cash and some household items) of the estate's assets have been distributed to me and the other heirs. Property, including land, houses and farm equipment that appraised for over $1.4 has not been distributed. Retained estate money/cash is being squandered by the executor. One brother (an heir) continues to farm the estate's land and use the estate's farm equipment (tractors, trucks, etc.) free. Another older brother, the executor, pays taxes, electric bills, grass mowing fees, legal fees, probate filing fees and numerous other expenses using the estate's money. The will requires the estate to be divided equally four ways among the 4 heirs (all children). The required inventory and accounting documents are being filed with the county clerk's office.

Questions:

1) Is there a timeframe as to when an executor must distribute all assets and settle the estate.

2) What maximum fee may an executor charge for his services in the State of Virginia.

3) What recourse do I have as an heir for damages due to the executor's failure to settle the estate in a reasonable time? Each year the estate remains unsettled costs me about $20K because of estate cash being squandered and my inability to invest the money from sale of the numerous properties.

4) In answering the 3 questions, please provide the section and paragraph under the Code of virginia that address the subjects.

Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2010, 05:42 PM

If this is your spouse's mother were you specifically named in the will?

This site as a lot of good info for you.:
    Virginia Probate and estate administration - VirginiaEstateLaw.com

But it doesn't appear there is a time frame that must be followed. On the other hand, the executor is required to file annual reports with the first report due 16 months from probate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 05:47 PM

First are you as scott said a heir or is it your wife ?

On a larger estate you or you and other heirs need to hire an attorney to represent your rights.

The estate is suppose to pay for up keep of the estate till it is settled.

Jan 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First are you as scott said a heir or is it your wife ?

On a larger estate you or you and other heirs need to hire an attorney to represent your rights.

The estate is suppose to pay for up keep of the estate till it is settled.

It is my spouse who is one of the 4 heirs.

I realize he estate is supposed to be maintained, but how long can this go on after 2 years. Is there no law that controls how long an executor can drag his feet in settling the estate. There are only 2 choices to disposition the prpoerty. One is to sell it; the only other is to divide it equally.

Jan 1, 2010, 06:59 PM

The problem is that it may not be easy to divide the estate 4 ways without selling the assets. And it might be that the other siblings want to keep the farm in the family as a working form. So they may be trying to build up some income to buy out the other siblings.

So the first thing you do is get the accounting and see if the estate is being processed reasonably.

If you need to, hire an attorney to represent your husband's rights.

Jan 1, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The problem is that it may not be easy to divide the estate 4 ways without selling the assets. And it might be that the other siblings want to keep the farm in the family as a working form. So they may be trying to build up some income to buy out the other siblings.

So the first thing you do is get the accounting and see if the estate is being processed reasonably.

If you need to, hire an attorney to represent your husband's rights.
    I have the acccounting documents and alreeady know how the estate's assets are being depleted/squandered. The will makes no reference to how other heirs may want to settle the property; it simply states that it must be divided equally. This can be done as simply as cutting a pie into 4 equal pieces. It is the duty of the executor to comply with the will, employ experts to appraise the property and divide it or sell it and then divide the cash from the sale. There is no grey area when it comes to complying with the deceased wishes in accordance with the legal document. If division presents a problem, then it must be sold. There is no provision in the will that allows one heir the right to stall compliance with the will and save his money in order to buy out the other heirs. In fact, put simply, there is no provision in the will for any heir to purchase said property. Purchase by any heir is possible only if the other heirs agree to sale at an agreed upon price. So, to repeat what I have said, there is a choice of division or sale and divide the revenue from the sale.

Jan 1, 2010, 08:23 PM

So hire an attorney to force distribution

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executor refuses to pay out money to heirs [ 2 Answers ]

My mother had a trust and the nine children were listed as heirs. The executor of the trust has not given any money to 4 heirs following the sale of the farm. The farm was sold in March of 08. I have the understanding that he has received monies from the farm sale. The siblings are split and it...

Executor of Estate and distribution [ 8 Answers ]

My father left me 90% of his Estate and his other sibling 10%. I am Executor of his trust as well as beneficiary on his bank accounts. The money he listed in his trust are not the same as his accounts. Is the other sibling only entitled to the amounts shown in his trust or by me being the...

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate. [ 1 Answers ]

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate in Oklahoma to myself. The heir is my Brother and he has stated that he wishes to "sign the papers" to relinquish any and all claim to our Mothers estate. I would appreciate any and all assistance, Thank you.

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search