Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ehudson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 03:58 PM
    How to change a gas furnace to electric
    Ihave a gas furnace, I would like to change to electric does this mean that I have to purchase a new furnace
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Jan 1, 2010, 04:04 PM

Yes.

At least using the definitions of terms that I use on the assumptions I have to make. Post more complete information explaining what you want to know and you may get a better answer.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 05:44 PM
    EPmiller is correct. You cannot convert the existing gas furnace to electric but you can add a electric heat pump to your gas furnace OR just replace the old gas furnace wirh a electric one. Usually gas heat prices(natural gas that is) are cheaper than electric resistance heat prices in most of the USA. In other words you get more BTU'S out of a 1.00 worth of gas than you do out of a 1.00 worth of electric but a heat pump does well using electric.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 10:30 PM
    Keep in mind, you need to make sure your breaker box can handle the extra needed amps for a electric furnace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change electric heat to a gas heating system? [ 7 Answers ]

How do you change electric heat to a gas heating system for the house? How much would this cost? How big of a job is it?

How toconverting gas furnace to electric [ 4 Answers ]

How do you convert a gas furnace and water heater to all electric and is it difficult Wanita

Gas furnace to electric [ 1 Answers ]

I see this has been discussed somewhat in an earlier question, but my husband really wants to switch from gas to electric heat (will be much cheaper). We have a HVAC friend who says it would actually cost less to change us over to an all electric system, rather than get a new gas furnace (some...

Converting a gas furnace to electric [ 1 Answers ]

How do I convert a gas furnace( coleman) to electric ?

How to convert a gas furnace to electric furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a conversion kit

View more questions Search