Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelleD Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Groutless marble tile
    I want to put in marble tile in my kitchen, without any grout lines. Is there any special way I'm supposed to do this? I read that the problem will be that the edges of the tiles won't be perfectly aligned so there will be bumps, gaps and raised spots unless the whole thing is polished after it is in place (which I won't be doing). If this is not possible to do, what is the thinnest grout line I can have?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 28, 2006, 06:37 PM
    1/16" is the smallest grout line you should use. These lines will need to be filled with an unsanded grout, epoxy type grout or a silicone urethane grout.

Do not use any sanded type of grout with marble. It will scratch.
    MichelleD Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger
    1/16" is the smallest grout line you should use. These lines will need to be filled with an unsanded grout, epoxy type grout or a silicone urethane grout.

Do not use any sanded type of grout with marble. It will scratch.

Thanks -- that makes sense. As I was laying the tiles out on the floor to see how they lined up, I was thinking all they needed was something like a tiny bit of caulking in between, and that silicone urethane grout sounds like it's just what I was looking for. I didn't know they made such a thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Counter -- Marble vs Granite [ 7 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 2 bedroom pre-construction condo in Chicago. (mostly as an investment) For the master bathroom I decided to upgrade the counter to marble. (personally - I like marble but I only plan on living there 2 years) A few people have told me granite is a much better choice...

Cultured marble vanity top [ 7 Answers ]

I picked up a cultured marble vanity top to fit on my vanity at home. I didn't remember that the vanity fits into a corner and thus didn't factor in the vanity having a finished edge on that side. Is it possible for me to trim the cultured marble with a circular saw or is specialized...

Marble and wood flooring [ 1 Answers ]

We are moving into a new house without flooring. I would like wood floors in the kitchen. My husband thinks it will look "too woody". I am looking for pictures to show him, done with color variation between the cabinates and flooring, it shouldn't. I also want to know it we could use marble...

Cultured Marble Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

OK guys, got to good deal on a large cultured marble tub + surround from local manufacter. My first pick was a large cast iron tub but no way for me to easily move it in the house. Cultured marble man is going to install the tub and surround for me. The material looks very strong and durable. ...

Lump Inside my Vagina Like A Marble [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Lump Inside my Vagina Like A Marble. I recently had test for std's and was told I had none. However the lump was found last week and the test were done in November.

View more questions Search