Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nss3139 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Inheritance money if you owe child support can they the gov take it away
    If someone die and leaves you some money. But you are behind on child support or behind on taxes can the government garnish it in anyway?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 08:44 PM

Of course, why should the not, in fact if you are behind on child support and have the money, you should be writing them a check before they even have to garnish.

If you are behind on your taxes, you should be working out a payment plan
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Hi, nss3139!

If you're in the U.S. yes. That happened to me concerning child support.

The I.R.S. can also be good with working out a payment plan, especially if the person owing the money, doesn't owe in the thousands of dollars.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 01:29 AM

That money is not yours. You owe it to your children (and the government).

My father left when I was only 5 years old and never paid a cent to help my mother, me and my 3 year old sister. Would my childhood have been different... you bet, if he had only helped a little. When I met him 18 years later I had no love, no respect and no feelings for him at all.

The children always come first regardless of whatever problems there were.

You need to 'man-up' and live up to your obligations, after all you brought these children into this world. And I don't care what problems you and your wife may have had, or even if she is working, this is about your kids.

I agree with Chuck, your question above should have never entered your mind.

Stringer
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 03:12 AM

Maybe it was a homework question... :D
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 03:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Maybe it was a homework question... :D
    It could be. Frequently they are.

Thanks!
    linda46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 06:06 PM
    My ex husband ssi check is on hold because it said he owe back child supoort for my kids how can I check to see if there are funds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I leave the country if I owe back child support? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I leave the country if I owe back child support?

I owe child support, and need to go to Bermuda on a job. Can I get a passport? [ 2 Answers ]

My job is sending me to Bermuda to do a job there for 6 weeks. I have applied for a passport, and have been told I can't get one because I am in arrears of child support in a different state. Is there any other way possible to obtain a passport, or can I get a visa or some other form of entrance?

Paying child support but money is not going to child [ 2 Answers ]

I a child is no longer living with a parent, but has left the house, living on her own with boyfriend, and one of the parents is trying to still receive child support from the other, parent for a child who lives in a different county,and is on her own.The child is 17 years old and is no longer with...

Can you ask for child support on a child if you OWE support for the same child? [ 13 Answers ]

We have had custody of my daughter for 12 years. Tons of things have happened in those years. My daughter has truly shown her true colors. Three years ago she went to live with my mother, who I gave legal guardianship to. She has now done the same things to my mother. She is almost 17 years old and...

When you owe child support and get a warrant out for yourself [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you owe $500 to the baby's father in child support do and have a warrant in that state like Michigan but you live in Ohio does the warrant following you into Ohio too?

View more questions Search