Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    druusilla Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Emmett Kelly Charcoal
    Hi, Looking for any info. On a very large self portrait done by Emmett Kelly in charcoal signed "Kelly". Would like to know approx. value. Thanks, Shelley

Dec 22, 2009, 11:09 PM
    0 update with pic.
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 02:32 AM
    Hi, druusilla!

I'm sorry that no one came along to address your question the first time!

I wasn't aware that Emmett Kelly was an artist. Are you sure the drawing was done by him?

Similar items are either up for bid or for sale on the following sites and might give you some idea as to the approximate monetary value of what you have. Although, if yours is an original and actually done by Kelly himself, those prices would be way too low.

EMMETT KELLY AP PRINT

Emmett Kelly Painting by Brenda Goetzinger - Emmett Kelly Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale

Again, certainly, if what you have is an original and actually drawn by him, it would be worth in the hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

To know for certain the authenticity of what you have and to make a more definitive determination as to the possible monetary value, it would be best to take it to an art museum or to an auctioneer who deals a lot iwht objects of art.

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2009, 10:17 PM

Hi, Thanks for the response. Yes, it's by him. I bought it at an estate sale. The lady was a huge Emmett kelly/clown collector. He did this for her on stage during one of his shows. Shelley
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Hi again, Shelley!

I looked and looked on the Internet for drawings or works of art by Kelly himself. Wasn't able to find any.

As far as fixing a price on what you have, there could be a really wide range concerning that. If you wanted an official, appraised value, like I've already mentioned in my above post, it would be best to take it to an art museum or to an auctioneer who deals a lot with objects of art.

My own, opinion though, is that since it's a work by Kelly himself, a very famous person, and apparently a rarity, since he wasn't known for his artwork and is now deceased, is that it would be worth at least several thousand dollars. If he was known for his art, it would probably be worth even more.

What something is really worth monetarily though, depends on what someone is willing to pay.

If you compare his work to others who've done similar works of themselves and then they've been sold in some manner, be it by auction or at an estate sale, then you'll have a better idea as to what it might be worth.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Your best bet is to take it to a reputable gallery to authenticate it. Who told you its history, the auctioneer?

That picture looks much too detailed to be something done on stage. Its also not a simple charcoal. A charcoal is usually just black. This looks more like a pastel chalk drawing.

Dec 27, 2009, 11:10 AM

I wish there was such a gallery around here... I live in a small town on the Oregon coast. I'll just have to root around online for more info. I bought it at a small estate sale down the street from me. It was the most prominent thing in the deceased woman's house, I think she was quite proud of it. She'd had it beautifully and expensively framed. To me it looks like it was drawn fairly quick, with broad slashes of color. Thanks again, Shelley
    skcusn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by druusilla View Post
    0 update with pic.
    What was the final quote on your emmett kelly charcoal?
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Hi, skcusn!

Do you also have one that was done by Emmett Kelly?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2010, 11:11 PM

Skusn, I've never actually gotten a quote on the Emmett's drawing. Like Clough, I'm wondering if you have something drawn by Emmett?
    bughouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 12:15 PM
    Hi druusilla,

I'm currently researching Kelly for an article focusing on his cartoon work. The self-caricature you own by him is astounding. I'm not able to assist you with appraising it, but I may be interested in utilizing it for my article. [Personal email address removed to protect privacy.] Look forward to hearing from you.
    junkman79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 12:23 AM
    Emmett Kelly drew these sketches during a performance. He had a large tablet of paper and would just tear it off and give it to one of the kids. I've seen a couple for sale between $1100 and $1800.
    MarkBel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 06:16 PM
    I too have an original signed Emmett Kelly large pastel that he drew for my brother and I wheh we were kids staying at Harrah's Tahoe kid's arcade while the parents were gambling back in the early 60's. It's large, about 2'x3' and says "Howdy Kids". I remember him drawing it for us. Mark
    car711 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by druusilla View Post
    Hi, Looking for any info. on a very large self portrait done by Emmett Kelly in charcoal signed "Kelly". Would like to know approx. value. Thanks, Shelley
    Hi there... we too have a emmett drawing. Our is signed on the other side Emmett kelly Sr though.
    madmacs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 06:00 PM
    Emmett Kelly did indeed draw these self portraits on stage, they were usually on 24 x 30 or so sized paper. I also have one of these procured by my Father at a show in Las Vegas in the early 70's. Dad had it framed and it hung on the living room wall for 30 years.. Mike
    annetointette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 01:01 PM
    Hi I have the same portrait done by Emmitt Kelly back in the 60's. I too am looking for its worth.
    micdaley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 04:35 PM
    I too have actually 3 of these drawings sketched by Emmett Kelly -all different- from the late 60's from his shows at the Harrah's kid's recreation arcade. He would sketch them very quickly and they all had the word "HOWDY" embedded in the sketch.Then he would rip of the sheet and roll it up and hand it to random kids. I remember like it was yesterday and I'm 52 now LOL! Don't know how much they'd be worth but I will keep mine because they are sentimental as we met him backstage during the Lawrence Welk Harrah's show. We spent quite a few nights at the arcade and accumulated 4 of them total-gave 1 away.
    CAMELLOVER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
    I have original signed Emmett Kelly charcoal. I watched him sketch, it at Harrah's, in the early 1960's. He also did sketches in pastels. Harrah's ran a place for kids, that had food, movie theater and games for kids and your parents had to sign you in and out. You could not leave on your own. Emmett Kelley would come and sign autographs and do a few sketches every night and then give them to the kids.
    lvangerpen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 06:36 PM
    i have a charcoal self portrate done by emmet on stage in san fransico calif at a meat packing convention and signed. Its on meat packing paper and signed by emmit. I have it framed under glass and it is about 45 years old. Don't know value but would be interested. [email protected]
    fmtaskart Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

May 10, 2012, 06:31 PM
    The findartinfo database list the following auction results for Emmett Kelly:

20-11-10 Self Portrait Of A Clown 24 x 18 in Pastel 125 USD
    07-12-07 Hobo Clown 34.5 x 23 in Pastel Unsold

A good conversation piece.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NEED: Herbal 100% Charcoal for FARTING; I.e. Gas (flatuance) [ 2 Answers ]

I NEED an herb -- not the chemical charcoal for fires], but an HERB: 100% Charcoal for FARTING; i.e. gas (flatuance) A few years ago, I was using an herb that was 100% "charcoal"; IT WORKED ! However, I can no longer find this herb in its purest form from any health food store in my area -- it's...

Charcoal Canister [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was told from the Lexus dealership I need a charcoal canister and that the car probably would not pass inspection if I did not replace it. . HAs something to do with the emissions? Anyway was wondering if there was any thing I could do to keep the emissions within the required standards ....

Charcoal cooking [ 3 Answers ]

What is a good distance between the coals and the cooking surface in a charcoal grill?

Charcoal and BBQ [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone here BBQ? I want to get one of those cheap BBQ supported on a tripod. But first, I got some questions: 1. Do I just pour the bag of charcoal and toss in a match? Or do I have to add something else too? 2. Do I use the charcoal until everything burns to powder? Or do I have to...

View more questions Search