Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kate_nyden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Is not paying car loan considered grand theft?
    Hello,

My best friend is going through a really rough time right now. She is bipolar and is making terrible decisions with her life. We have tried everything but nothing gets through to her. She is already in consumer credit counseling and has a part time job and is homeless (living out of her car).

My quesiton is that she has a loan on a 2004 Mazda. SHe still owes lots of money on the loan but she stopped paying the bill about 4 months ago. SInce at this point she is homeless, she doesn't seem to be worried about the car being repo'd because its not parked at the address where her car bill comes and she also doesn't work at the company she was at when she got the car. At what point will her non-payments go from VERY badly affecting her credit to becoming grand theft auto status? In cases like this, what is likey to happen if she doesn't make any payments or turn the car back into the Mazda dealership?

Thanks
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 7, 2006, 11:42 PM
    Just let her know, the repo man ALWAYS finds who he's looking for!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 07:10 AM
    No, not paying for your loan is not and never grand theft, ( unless they repo it and you go and steal it back from them)
    This is a civil matter, and basically the repo people will keep looking till they find it.

But she owes them, they keep looking, and at some point and time they find it. They sell it, and she still owes them lots of money.
    wendyCA Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2006, 08:38 AM
    I once made a big mistake in order to not miss the car payment. Found a buyer who wanted me to wait a week until he sold his vehicle and then he could buy mine. I told him payment was due immediately. He agreed to make the payment, had me sign a form that turned into a nightmare and drove off in my car trying to take over my loan (which you cannot do for a number of reasons).

Anyway, he would not give up the car but continued to make car payments. The car ins was cancelled due to this mess. The bank wanted the car back (2001 Mustang GT fully loaded with 5,000 miles on motor). He began hiding the car.

I came to find out he had no credit available and wanted to assume my loan all along.

The tow truck driver had hard time locating him but eventually during a 4th of July holiday (when people generally visit relatives, friends, go on outings), he sat outside the man's house and voilą, the garage door opened and this guy drove to a local picnic spot to spend day with extended family and friends. As soon as he was 25 yds from vehicle, tow truck driver had the car.

It was such a relief (I was afraid he might take it apart and sell motor or possibly have car accident).

The car was sold at auction for 5,000 more than I was asking this guy for (which I got in the mail).

Bottom line is she is stealing in some form. I hope she snaps out of it. Sounds like drug behavior to me.
    bdub79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Listen. It is not true, I know a couple who had two cars and a 6 year loan on each. These cars were brand new off the lot. They paid for four years then fell on hard times. They stopped paying, and ended up moving quite a bit for the next couple years. Well now, five years later they STILL are using and driving these cars. They cannot sell them without a title but they can plate them, and insure them. They have lived in the same residence now for almost three years and have held the same jobs. They get these cars re-registered every year, so the Repo man does not ALWAYS find them. I do not condone this behavior but I do know, that all of these answers were not entirely true and wanted to straighten this out for you!:confused:
    makaaka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
    How is it possible to plate them and insure them if you don't have a title?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intolerance, It should be considered a sin? [ 124 Answers ]

Okay, on the thread of reincarnation. Another member brought up an excellent point about intolerance. I was the one that started the thread of reincarnation and it went off topic. Which is expected I guess, but instead of continuing there I think this heading from another member is an excellent...

Theft [ 32 Answers ]

The other night, Me and some colleagues hit up the local tarvern for some refreshing breverages... okay, we got hammed, and hit the bar... now vaguely I don't remember really being there, but I know I was. Appearently, I stole some beer taps from the beer well. They got me on camera, but, I...

Am I considered an adult at these circumstances [ 4 Answers ]

Porter County, Indiana My 18th birthday is on July 22nd, just a few more days. Currently I've been on juvenile probation since last September. I understand that when I reach 18 I have reached "age of majority" and I am legally allowed to vote, sign binding contract, and take full...

He kept the car, but the loan he is NOT paying is in my name [ 3 Answers ]

In our divorce agreement, my X kept a car that I was the primary loan-holder on. In the last 6 months he has paid the payment late three times(this month's payment is also late). These late payments are showing up on my credit report and will cause me no end of grief very quickly. Due to an...

Can I Opt Not be considered An EXEMPT individual? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to decide whether I need to file resident or non-resident tax return. Here is my situation: For year 2003 and 2004, I was on F1 and filed 1040 NR with 8843 claiming exemption for the substantial presence test. For year 2005, I was on F1 from 1st Jan to 30th Sep, and H1-B...

View more questions Search