Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sheenac1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 05:11 AM
    Talent Agent? Where to start...
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I am looking into getting into modelling or acting management. Like an Agent. I was a model for a couple years when I was a teenager, and since having my son, I can't go back... I was hoping to stay in the industry, but on the management side. The fashion industry has always been a huge part of my life and I would like to keep it that way.
    Does anyone have any advice on what education I should be looking into, or where I could start this type of career? Any advice would be great, because right now I have no idea. There are a couple event & talent management courses, but they are on the other side of Canada, so could be done, but not very easily.

Thanks,

Sheena
    blablah123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2006, 05:55 PM
    (1) Research job descriptions of agents and managers. Decide which one you think you want to pursue. Agents procure and negotiate deals. Managers advise their clients. Sometimes the lines between the two get blurred, but you need to really understand the differences (and limitations) before you pick one.

(2) Decide if you want to be an agent representing actors, models, writers, or directors. Since you said models or actors, pick one. It is tough to do both and besides, if you want to represent Tyra Banks (actress and model), she may have 2 different agents for each capacity (acting or modeling). She may have one for both, but some have two.

(3) There are model agencies (Elite Models, Wilhelmina, Ford Models, etc.) and there are talent agencies (Creative Artisis Agency [CAA], William Morris Agency [WMA], International Creative Management [ICM], etc. Check out their websites. Look at job descriptions.

(4) Between repping models and talent (actors, writers, etc.), there is probably more money and glory in the latter, but it depends on what you are passionate about (fashion v. films/TV).

(5) Be prepared to make very little money for many years. Be prepared to be yelled at, belittled, harassed, etc. Have thick skin and don't take things personally. Salaries start at low $20Ks and start there for awhile. Also, keep in mind that most people who go into the industry, LEAVE the industry having not made it. It is a sink or swim business.

(6) Try to read subscription journals like "Hollywood Reporter" or "Daily Variety."

(7) Use the web to research, research, research who's who in the business.
    hollywoodhipster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheenac1983
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I am looking into getting into modelling or acting management. Like an Agent. I was a model for a couple years when I was a teenager, and since having my son, I can't go back...I was hoping to stay in the industry, but on the management side. The fashion industry has always been a huge part of my life and I would like to keep it that way.
    Does anyone have any advice on what education I should be looking into, or where I could start this type of career? Any advice would be great, because right now I have no idea. There are a couple event & talent management courses, but they are on the other side of Canada, so could be done, but not very easily.

Thanks,

Sheena
    Hi, it sounds like you could give some well needed insight to the business. The best way, I feel, is to try to intern, interns make little or no money, but you have to be in or near the business you want. Networking is the best way to move in the entertainment industry, it is all "who you know". If, you feel you have enough to give, start your own model management firm in your home town,(I'm sorry, did you say where you lived). There are a lot of talented people who need someone to take them to the next level. I know several Talent managers in NY who have paid interns to answer phones, mail, cast submissions and filing, all the while having their ears and eye's open. The point is, keep intending and something will happen.
    waller540 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Hey, I've been researching online at the moment as I'm also interested in this. I found quite a good website here: http://www.startatalentagency.net/
    AlexLakshtanov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 06:52 PM

Thinking of opening up a Talent Agency? The Department of Industrial Relations, requires Talent Agencies in California to post a $50,000.00 Talent Agency bond (Bond amount varies for other States). You can read more about it in this link: ATA: Association of Talent Agents - Newsstand

Also, here is an update to 1700.15: SB 184 Senate Bill - CHAPTERED

If you know anyone that is in need of a Talent Agency Bond, Fee-Related Talent Service Bond, Advance Fee Talent Services or any other bond, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Call or E-Mail for a FREE QUOTE today.

Alex Lakshtanov
    Advanced Surety&Insurance; Agency
    (818) 269-7596
    www.advancedbonding.com
    [email protected]
    Insurance Broker/Agent License# 0G21229

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hijacker.Agent.a [ 8 Answers ]

I did a scan with Ewido and it found Hijacker.Agent.a which it quarantined. On doing another scan it again appeared so this time I deleted it but next time I scanned it was back. What is this and how can I get rid of it. Thanks.

Insurance Agent [ 1 Answers ]

How much would a insurance agent make a year working through a firm like state farm or allstate in a small town of about 20000 people.

Finding out Agent [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out who a homeowners insurance agent is ? My daughter was injured on the property when their car backed into her. Reports were done and it has grown ugly. But no where is their Agent mentioned. They of course refuse to tell us.

Trojan/agent-bn [ 1 Answers ]

hi have run x-soft on my PC and keep coming up with trojan /agent-bn its in the registry software/microsoft/windows/current version/internet settings /zonemap/domains/search softnet.com could someone please tell me what it is and how to get rid of it goldie

Buyers Agent.. How to select [ 1 Answers ]

How do you set about selecting a buyers agent to represent you if you are looking for a possible House purchase in different parts of a (USA) State? After all, an Agent can't be familiar with every area you might be looking at AT

View more questions Search