Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broken19871950 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 01:01 AM
    Stole from Employer, paid back... still charge?
    I was recently let go from my position at work due to refunding money back onto my mastercard. They asked me what the total was and I have been very co-operative and the total came to $358 and change. I have been in contact with them and they said that they would be fine taking out of the money they owe me for my last 2 weeks I worked and vacation pay (which is still 4 weeks late from when I was supposed to receive it)
    A client I had there e-mailed them saying how upset she was over the situation but just wanted to remind them that I was very good at what I did and that I was very kind.
    They wrote back stating they were upset by the situation also but that criminal charges were going to be laid. They told some random client before I even know? Can they still press charges after being paid back in full? This is a small family owned company and I just can't see it being worth it for them. But how can she tell some random and not even acknowledge me on what's going on. She's doing my sisters wedding and I just can't see how pressing charges is going to work. I know that sounds nieve but I am so upset by my actions.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by broken19871950 View Post
    Can they still press charges after being paid back in full? This is a small family owned company and I just can't see it being worth it for them. She's doing my sisters wedding and I just can't see how pressing charges is going to work.
    Hello b:

Yeah, I never could understand why they wanted to put ME in jail, either. But, they did. For some reason, they don't like people who steal. Silly, I know.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 03:58 PM

You stole from the company. It is their prerogative to file charges against you even if you did pay the money back. Yes, I know it does not sound fair but you did steal from them, didn't you? Why would you think you are somehow exempt from any sort of punishment if you paid the money back?

And as far as telling someone else before they told you it would not be considered slander, etc. as it was true by your own admission.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 08:28 PM

You paying or not paying them back will not have any bearing in the DA filing charges. It may help in the sentencing.

While all areas have difference, most likely they would have @ one year to press charges
    broken19871950 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 11:06 PM

I don't think I'm exempt from anything. It is their right as human beings and business owners to charge people who have done wrong. Me. But she sent me and e-mail stating that we would just work it out by paying the money back. Less than a day later she's like OK we are proceeding with the charges... I just don't get it. But I'm not entirely stupid, I get that what I did was wrong
    She on the other hand is withholding me paycheck from me, the rest of the money that I don't owe her. There is no documentation that I have stating the hours I am to be paid for and the amount of vacation pay. She can just make this up and I won't know any different. She has stolen from me on many occasions from the day I started working for her. My paychecks were never right, never the proper amount of hours or overtime pay. I never said anything because she always made me feel guilty since it's a family owned small business. .
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2009, 07:37 AM

If she is stealing from you, then file charges against her - Wage and Hour is probably the place to start.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    If she is stealing from you, then file charges against her - Wage and Hour is probably the place to start.
    Judy, What's Wage and Hour?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stole from my employer [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys... First time on here but signed up straight away to see if you could help me find an answer... even if its not the one I want? I have worked for the same company for two years. It is a finance company. Throughout that time I have seen and been told to do many things that I shouldn't...

Stole from employer but paid him back [ 25 Answers ]

A former employer of mine is accusing me of embezzlement. I did the payroll, and he is claiming that I paid myself more than authorized. The amount he claims I now must pay back is $20,000. We never had any written agreement as to to how I would make every week. I paid myself what I would have...

Stole from employer [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught stealing money from my job. The number they reported to the police was 6 times the amount. Is this legal? Won't this affect my bond. Don't they have to prove the amount first?

I have paid all the money back which I stole [ 4 Answers ]

I was questioned in taking money from work by means of refunding credit cards... I have paid it all back... can they still drop the charges... They may even give me my job back... I was a great employee that came across a really bad situation... Yes I am in Maryland... Is there any chance the...

Amount paid back to employer is taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

During 2006, I was working for a company on H1B visa. I have an agreement with that company that if I leave the company before 2 years I have to pay around $6000 for my H1B visa processing, lawyer expenses and travel expenses. And I left the company in April 2006 by paying $6000. This amount is not...

View more questions Search