Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justwantsto know Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Show me a diagram of an electric hot water heater
    We replaced the heating element on the top and both thermostats and still do not have hot water the tank is not leaking any suggestions?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 05:49 PM

Have you checked for correct voltage to top element? Should be getting 240 volt to top element when tank is cold. Then when top thermostat is satisfied, the bottom stat should kick in sending 240 to bottom element. The thermostats you installed should have wiring diagrams with them.

Dec 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Show me a diagram of an electric hot water heater
    Replaced both thermostats and the top heating unit still no hot water any suggestions?

Dec 15, 2009, 06:05 PM

We are getting the 240 at the top but it is not heating the h2o
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 06:05 PM

OK, the one on the left is electric. HowStuffWorks "How Water Heaters Work" Have you checked to insure 240 volts is reaching the stats?

If you are putting 240 into an element and it is not gettinghot you must have a bad element. Test it for continuity.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 06:31 PM

As ballengerb1 already said, if you have 240 to element, it should be heating, if not, the element is bad. Also, how long did you wait for water to get hot? It takes some time for an electric water heater to heat up when full of cold water. Do you get any hot water at all, even for say a minute or so. If so, you may have a broken dip tube which would cause you having a very short supply of hot water. Let us know more about the problem and we will try to help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Hi all:

These guys pretty much covered it all... ;) If you don't know how to test for continuity or do not have the correct tools for the job let us know... OK?

Otherwise, to check the wiring sequence... check out the diagram below.

Your water heater should be like the DOUBLE ELEMENT diagram on the left.

MARK
    Attached Images

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 07:22 PM

Please don't start more than one thread on the same subect, and to add more info, you need to "answer" your own question.

All of your threads have been merged

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater vacation setting [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric hot water heater and turn it off when I am away for 2 months. But what about 2 weeks, 6 days, or? What is the cut-off point (i.e. how many days) when it will take more energy to heat the water again than it does to leave it on? Many thanks! Sally

Installed new hot water heater but still no hot water just cold water [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a new hot water heat and we still do not have hot water. We were having our bathroom remodeled at the same time the water heater went out. So now the plumber is saying that the contractor probably put one of the faucets in the bath room backwards so it is prventing the hot water to go...

My Electric Water Heater is not filling up OR heating water! [ 2 Answers ]

First: Does the breaker have to be on for my water heater to fill up? I turned the breaker on after draining it a little, and it isn't filling it back up... Second: How long should I have to wait for my water heater to heat the water again?

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search