Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 01:08 PM
    How can you finish interior cinder block walls in a basement without using sheetrock?
    I want to finish a basement(new construction) that has cinderblock walls. However I do not want to use sheetrock. Are there other alternatives?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Hi, bmay!

Are the cinder block walls coated with anything at all at the present time, or are they just the bare blocks?

Thanks!
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Dec 13, 2009, 07:34 AM

You could skim the walls with drywall compound 2 times first coat is a will bee a bit ruff let it dry sand it re coat it with a thin coat it should go in smoother then texture it prime and paint if you do this if the wall moves it will crack if it leaks the mud will fall off if I was doing it I would use 2 x 2 and foam insolation and then sheetrock it
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 13, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Using drywall compound directly on the cinder block would not be a good idea because all cider block absorbs moisture and would deteriorate the compound over time.
    If you wanted to skim the walls with something, use a mortar mix, then paint.

Dec 14, 2009, 08:00 PM

lol sabre drywall compound = smoother morter mix = ruffer both absorb moisture if the wall is dry and painted drywall compound is fine I own a drywall co in wi and we have to do this very often in stair wells we don't get call backs
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 14, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arby808 View Post
    lol sabre drywall compound = smoother morter mix = ruffer both absorb moisture if the wall is dry and painted drywall compound is fine I own a drywall co in wi and we have to do this very often in stair wells we dont get call backs

Lol arby, I own a drwall and constrction company in Pa, if you are only using it in stairwells, that's one thing. But to use it on exterior cider walls, it will absorb moisture and deteriorate the compound.

Dec 16, 2009, 12:34 PM

Only if they are wet I own a drywall and home inspection co in wi if the walls are dry you will have no problem if the walls are wet or damp you will have problems with anything you put on them
    RusticOne Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 07:52 AM

I have been doing drywall for over 30 years and agree with the people who indicate you will eventually have problems with drywall compound. I would NOT recommend it as a long term finish, as it will deteriorate, crack, peel,. and generally make a BIG mess.

You did not indicate the degree to which you would like to go. Specifically, you didn't indicate if you were averse to putting up 2x2 studs and using alternative interior finishing techniques. If you are open to studding the wall(s), then virtually any finish is open to you. Prior to installing any studs be sure the walls are sealed with products such as DRYLOK (or comparable alternatives). Then install the studs, insulate (if desired), vapor seal and then use paneling or other desired internal finish product. I've seen and used "wafer board" that is stained too.

Alternatively, you could use Faux stone (Manufactured stone veneers) or a mortar stucco. With the stucco, you can have the mortar colored so that the walls would not require painting when finished. Of course they could be painted later if desired. The stucco also affords several options in "texture". It can be finished smooth, swirled, brushed, or give it a venitian plaster look. (... A smooth finish is very challenging to achieve and should likely be left to professionals.) These types of finish would be very durable.

Finally, if you don't mind the concrete block look, but want a finish, you can simply paint the walls with a product like DRYLOK (or comparable). I have a finished basement room with dropped ceilings. Two of it's walls are exterior walls (made with concrete block). They are painted with a product like DRYLOK. The two walls "finishing" the room are drywall. However, they could have been paneling or any other suitable wall finish.

By the way: DRYLOK usually comes white, but can be tinted any color you like (mine is yellow). This also expands when being applied to fill the pours in the concrete block and the mortar holding them. You will usually require two coats.
    PatcyMcn Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2010, 03:44 PM

Lasco panels are available at places like Lowe's or Home Depot type stores. They are fiberglass sheets with a grained finish. Easy to clean. You need a 1/4" hammer drill bit to drill the holes for the expansion rivit used to install them. There is no food for mold with these.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaks between cinder block walls & slab floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a cinder block home built in the 50's. During heavy rains, I find water leaking in between the cinder block and the slab foundation it sits on. Is there a good fix for this? Is there a fix I can do myself?

Is sheetrock necessary for basement walls [ 2 Answers ]

Is sheetrock necessary for basement walls if I plan to install built in shelving and cabinets? Right now I have the walls down to the studs on poured concrete walls. I was going to put insulation between the studs and attach shelving directly on the studs. Is this okay? I would appreciate any tips.

Bad cinder block walls in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, After tearing down the "finished" walls in the home I've been in for 3.5 yrs I discovered some pretty scary cinderblock walls. If you look at my attachments you will see them for yourself... I tore the walls down initially when we discovered that we had seeping water in the...

Knockdown Finish on Interior Walls [ 1 Answers ]

What is the procedure and materials used in "knockdown" interior walls?

Cinder Block Exterior Walls [ 1 Answers ]

Hi and Help We bought a cinder block home 4 years ago. The home was built in 1998 and was painted on the exterior. The exterior has green spots and seems shadowy in some areas. I think it needs painting again. We are having some issues with humidity inside the house but no mold on the walls. We...

View more questions Search