Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 02:36 AM
    How to increase 2.2kva generator output
    How do I increase 2.2kva generator output and can I use electric motor on generators instead of petrol motors
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2009, 10:47 PM

If you are hoping to achieve perpetual motion, give up on this arrangement. That would require energy to be absorbed into this system due to heat and EM losses.

However, besides this fact, anything that can spin the pulley on the generator can produce power.

You can increase the wattage output by increasing either the Amperes or the Voltage. The voltage can be stepped up by the number of windings and the speed of the generator, in DC. In ac generators, the speed is in direct control of the frequency. The amperage is probably the smarter thing to increase. A stronger magnet will allow more amperes to flow and so will a thicker wire in the windings.

There are other things to consider here also. The more you step up the amperes, the more torque is required to spin the generator. Secondly applying more amperes requires you to adjust the load accordingly. If you load is drawing more amperes than the wire in the windings can handle then you will short them. If you increase voltage by adding more windings, you are also increasing the resistivity of the wire within the generator, thus becoming hotter or less efficient in other ways.

And for reference, increasing the frequency in AC generators does increase the overall energy, but not in wattage.
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jan 3, 2010, 06:04 AM

If you are going to change the windings, you may as well buy another generator.

If the load is a motor and you want more power to get the motor started, you could use capacitors to improve the power factor of the load, thus reducing the current required to drive the motor.

If you are just running lights and such, there is not much you can do.

If you are running a fridge or an air con, you will need a generator about three times bigger than the run current of the motor as you need to overcome the high strting current of the motor.

UNLESS you use a soft starter of VF Drive, in which case you may as well just buy a bigger generator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use inverter to increase power output of a generator [ 7 Answers ]

Hello does anyone know if it is practical or even possible to amplify the power of a small generator using a large watt inverter? Say you have a 2 or 3 HP 1000 watt generator and you hook it up to a 5000 watt inverter. What kind of power will you be NOW able to generate? Doesn't the horse power of...

Generator voltage output too low [ 2 Answers ]

I have this 10 month old SDMO 6KVA (3.8KW) generator (with Yanmar LE100 diesel engine) which has worked OK until recently. All of a sudden I noticed that the output voltage is nowhere near the rated 230volts. On no load it measures about 210 volts and drops to about 170-180volts when loaded to...

Increase furnace output [ 1 Answers ]

Can the heat output of a furnace be increased safely by using a bigger gas valve or burner orifices and increasing the blower speed?

Most output from generator [ 6 Answers ]

I plan on buying a portable generator to hook up my house for emergency power, going to instal a manual transfer switch. I was wondering most generators have numerous outlets on them do I have to rewire the panel on the generator to get max output or does the 240 receptacle put out the max, I plan...

View more questions Search