Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikemcs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Pipes make noise when turning off water
    When I shut off the water I get a Fog Horn sound coming from my pipes. I can not tell where is really coming from as a I heard it from from all over. It does not seem to any certain faucet that causing the problem, I have heard it from the upstairs shower, upstairs kitchen sink, downstairs bathroom sink and even the laundry which is also downstairs. I have read several post here about knocking and I would say it is not a knocking should but more like a fog horn or a tuning fork.

The home is about 6 years old and is on the market so I need to get this fixed. Any ideas would help greatly.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 03:48 PM

It is called resonance. There is an area of pipes in your house that has an exact sized opening. This allows the water to create a frequency when the exact flow rate is accomplished. It can be compared to whistling or when you blow at a piece of paper on the table and it flutters.

When you turn off the water, do it slowly. Try to get the sound to become persistent. Then try to track it down. It will be hard because the pipes carry sound better than air, so it will seem like it is coming from everywhere. It will be noticeably louder at the source; sometimes you can even see the pipes vibrate.

This can also be caused by a trapped air bubble. Once you find the source, replace it or tap it moderately to see if you can relieve the bubble.

If you don't mind it too much, it won't hurt anything. It's just some vibrations in your wall...

There is an off chance it could be that your pressure is too high also. Anything over 60-80psi can cause whistling water pipes. I read something about the washers in the faucets, but that would only occur when that faucet is being used, not when the washer or any other sink was being used.

Good Luck
    mikemcs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 04:54 PM
    O k I can track the noise down to the valve that supplies the downstairs toilet. I can cut the water supply off, flush the toilet and the slow turn the knob back to the supply and bam I have a tuba coming from my pipes that you can hear through the whole house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemcs View Post
    o k I can track the noise down to the valve that supplies the downstairs toilet. I can cut the water supply off, flush the toilet and the slow turn the knob back to the supply and bam I have a tuba coming from my pipes that you can hear through the whole house.
    Turn the water off to the house and open up the angle stop. (see image).
    Seat the washer in firmly and look for any trash in the valve body. Now hold a pan over the open valve and have someone turn the water vback on for a few seconds to flush out the supply. Reassemble and test. Better now? Good luck, Tom
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 8, 2009, 10:18 AM

Tuba, foghorn... you could rig something up for a Christmas music and have people pay to get in. (smile)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower pipes make loud vibrating/humming noise with hot water turned on [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I had my basement renovated recently (this year) and now have a problem with the shower pipes making loud noises. When I turn on the hot water in the shower and let it run for approx 20-30 seconds, a loud noise emerges (reflects a fog horn). I can feel the vibration of the pipes. ...

Loud knocking in water pipes after flushing or turning on sink water [ 2 Answers ]

When we flush the toilet in the MB there is a loud knocking noise. We were able to alleviate the noise if we turned on the hot water faucet forcefully just before flushing for several months. Now the hot water pipe is knocking, also. How do we alleviate this horrible noise, please?

Can shutting off the water line cause pipes to make a noise when in the bathroom? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, we recently had to have a shut off valve replaced under our kitchen sink cabinet that went to the hot water going to the dishwasher. After the water was turned back on, the pipes in the tube in one of our bathrooms started making strong vibrations when we turned it from hot to cold. The...

Noise in pipes and refrigerator noise with water chugging out of drink mechanism [ 4 Answers ]

Originally, we heard a noise from the refrigerator once in a while, changed the filter which lessened the noise. Now we hear a chugging in the pipes in our bedroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and in both bath rooms. It occurs occasionally. One night we shut off the hot water heater and it was...

View more questions Search