Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newgolden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2005, 07:39 AM
    How do I train my dog to walk on a leash?
    I hope someone can help me. I am a new golden retriever owner. He is 18 weeks old. I have never owned a dog that was leash trained. I want to be able to walk my golden on his leash, but he won't budge! Any help would be appreciated.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 15, 2006, 03:12 PM
    There are several different ways to train your dog to walk on a leash.

When I first got our dog Miss Piggy she had no idea what a leash was and would not walk with it. This will sound stupid, but I went out and bought the shortest lead I could buy and hook it too her, so she got used to it real fast. Miss Piggy was a Pitt-bull rescue, age 3ish and had a really hard start in life, she is now the bomb of dogs living in my home with a gazillion other furry little animals and has gotten over most of her fears and believe me you there where many off them. I have listed some links below, I hope that one of them will be helpful to you.

Pet Education http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=2

Train your puppy proper leash behavior before pulling on leash becomes a difficult habit to break Train your puppy proper leash behavior before pulling on leash becomes a difficult habit to break
    http://www.perfectpaws.com/pup7.html

How to Leash Train your Puppy
    http://www.seefido.com/html/leash_that_puppy.htm

Information on How to Leash Train or Harness Train Your Puppy Training Your Puppy to Walk on a Leash
    http://petcaretips.net/leash-train-puppy.html
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2006, 05:50 PM
    All but the most recalcitrant young puppies can be controlled before they are 4 months old with the flat collar and patience. If you must have something more with a younger puppy, use a fabric restricted slip collar. These are sort of a cross between the conventional flat collar and the slip collar. Some of them are adjustable, Good for a growing puppy. They have a fabric loop at one end with a metal ring holding the other end in the loop, allowing it to slid back a forth. Find one, or adjust one to where it will go on over the puppies head, but will not tighten up past a snug fit around the neck. Put it on the same way as the metal slip collar. If you walk with the dog on the left, pull the chain through one loop forming a "P". Facing it, slip it over its head. The free end should come over the neck to the leash, and the other end should drop slack when there is no pull on the leash. Martingale collars are another good fabric collar, working more like a pinch collar.

Likely in a couple of weeks you will be posting back on how to keep him from pulling. For now, follow his name with ''Heel'' in a happy voice, doesn't need to be loud. Move out until you come to the end of the leash. If he doesn't move, turn around and entice him to you. Call his name and slap your thighs. As soon as he moves, tell him ''Good dog!'' sounding like you mean it. Tone of voice is very important, dogs understand it, but not words until you train them. Use a treat* if you have to. This usually works fairly quickly. I have had to use it on a few puppies including my 15 week old Lab, Nita. It is even more difficult with the puppies for the dog guide school because they are taught to walk with their back legs at you side.

I didn't' take time to see if all these details were in the above websites.

*Treats do not need to be large or elaborate. I sometimes borrow a little of its ration of kibble and carry it in a 35 mm film canister. Hummmmmmm! Wonder how much longer they are going to be common and readily available?
    desilvano Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 08:53 AM
    I have tried the above methods but my puppy just lays on the ground and refuses to move despite treats, me squatting down and calling her in a nice tone of voice. If I give her a quick yank she just pulls back. I don't want to end up dragging her. Any suggestions?

Dec 1, 2009, 08:56 AM

And by the way I am an experienced dog owner and have competed in obedience trials I just somehow have lost my touch.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 11:08 AM

Have you tried a gentel leader? I think some places they are called Halties. Not the ones that go around the chest, but the ones that go around their heads.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 11:13 AM

Hahah, I just realized how old this post was. Sorry all! :)

Dec 1, 2009, 02:46 PM
    That's a good idea. I will try that. Actually today I worked her outside of the yard where she wasn't as comfortable with her surroundings and it went quite well. Potty training--that's another story! Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't walk on leash [ 4 Answers ]

My three month old puppy won't walk on a leash, as soon as I hook her leash up she just ducks and stays close to the ground and even tries pulling away sometimes. I if carry her away from the house and put her down with the leash attached she will go back to the house but that is the only time she...

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

Puppy won't walk on a leash [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get a puppy to walk on a leash. He is very scared of it. I have attached it to his collar and let him just walk around with it dragging behind but that hasn't helped his "fear" of the leash. He just won't budge. I have tried to give him treats also to get him to walk. STUBBORN! He...

Puppy doesn' walk on leash! [ 19 Answers ]

I just got an 8week old Great Dane puppy, and I have been taking her out on a regular basis to try to get used to her leash, and she won't walk. She just sits there and won't budge! I have tried treats and encouragement, but she still won't get up or walk. I don't know what to do about it.

Sheltie won't walk on a leash [ 2 Answers ]

My sheltie just turned two years old and we cannot get him to walk on a leash. We tried everything, halter, letting him sit there for a couple hours, food, nothing will get him to budge. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search