Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anvarpb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Closed loop Chilled water system - pressurisation units
    Hi all ,

I am new to this site...

Could you please some one help me out to locate the pressurization unit for a chilled water system application in 120m tower building. The heat exchangers/CHW pumps are located at 0.0 level... System volume is about 35-40 m3 and pump head is around 4 bar...

What is the ideal position of pressurization units... and what would be cut in & cut out pressure settings for the unit.. I would appreciate if you can give the selections too

I would appreciate the earliest response

Thanks & Regards
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2006, 07:36 PM
    you have a building 120m H (~400 ft), pump's head 4 bar ( 1 bar = 1 atmosphere= 14.7 psi)
    to pump up 400ft (120M) we need at least 173 psi, 4 bar = 58.8 psi, the pump only pump up 1/3, not enough pressure. Where is the heigthest coil; the supply should be at least 10 psi, you need at least 181 psi
    you mention the heat exchange. So you don't have a chiller?? you could control temp/ press with combination of pump (VFD) and auto valve... there is no cutin/out the pump always run ,unless cooling not required... as with chiller: first you put on the pumps, fan then chiller, shut off chiller then fan and pumps... if the chiller is running without the pumps on it probadly end up in the dumpster

Nov 22, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Thanks caibuadday...

But... Since the chilled water system in the question is of closed loop type , to my knowledge, I do not have to worry about the static head...

As you said I need a temperary pump of the capacity 173 psi for the initial filling purpose only ( During filling its an open system )

. Once the system is filled with the chemically treated water and fully closed( to resist the corrossion), only friction losses of pipes, fittings, valves, p.d across the coil of the farthest terminal unit, heat exchanger p.d etc... only exist..

To cater that I require a pump of the capacity( m = Q / Cp * delta T ) where m is the flow rate, Cp specific heat capacity, delta T Temperature change... and head of 4.5 bar (which is the total friction loss+p.d across coil and heat exchanger).

My question was regarding the pressurisation unit/expansion vessel location and its capacities to take care of any water leakages/ volume changes due to the variation of temperature of water in the system...

The system in the question is of district cooling type.. so I don't have chillers...

District cooling incoming temp 4.5 deg C , Return Temp 13.5 deg C

Building side Supply Temp 5.5 deg C Return temp 14.5 deg C

Any more suggestion...

I would appreciate your reply

Thanks & Regards

Nov 23, 2006, 02:39 PM
    this is the formular for sizing expansion tank

Vt =[ (0.00041T - 0.0466) Vs] / [ (Ha/Ht) - (Ha/Ho)]

Vt = required tank vol
    Vs= total vol of system, gallon
    T= design average temp, F degree
    Ha= atmospheric press absolute,== 34 ft
    Ht= min press at tank, equal to the fill press plus static press at tank , ft of water plus absolute (34)
    Ho= max press at tank, ft of plus absolute (34)

re check your total system vol with pump's flow rate formular
    a water columne of 120 M heigth would have a press of 173 psi, in order for the water to reach the top of the building your pump need to put out at least 173 psi.
    the person did your building peak cooling load calculation and/ or sizing your pump should be able to help you size the tank

Nov 23, 2006, 11:04 PM
    Thanks caibuadday...

I have used this equation for the expansion tank sizing...

A) Expansion Tank Sizing Based on ASHRAE Systems and Equipment Handbook Chapter 12

Vt=Vs((v2/v1)-1)-3£Λt
    1-(P1/P2)

Where :

Vt= Volume of expansion tank, m3
    Vs= Volume of water in system, m3
    t1= lower temperature, ̊ C, chilled water leaving temp
    t1= higher temperature, ̊ C, ambient temperature
    Pa= atmospheric pressure , kPa
    P1= pressure at lower temperature, kPa (Design Fill Pressure -Static Head+28 kPa)
    Pa= pressure at higher temperature, kPa
    v1= specific volume at lower temperature, m3/kg
    v2= specific volume at higher temperature, m3/kg
    £=linear cofficient of thermal expansion of steel
    Λt=(t2-t1)
    Static Head = in Kpa
    Thnaks...

Nov 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anvarpb
    Thanks caibuadday...

I have used this equation for the expansion tank sizing.............

A) Expansion Tank Sizing Based on ASHRAE Systems and Equipment Handbook Chapter 12

Vt=Vs((v2/v1)-1)-3£Λt
    1-(P1/P2)

Where :

Vt= Volume of expansion tank, m3
    Vs= Volume of water in system, m3
    t1= lower temperature, ̊ C, chilled water leaving temp
    t1= higher temperature, ̊ C, ambient temperature
    Pa= atmospheric pressure , kPa
    P1= pressure at lower temperature, kPa (Design Fill Pressure -Static Head+28 kPa)
    Pa= pressure at higher temperature, kPa
    v1= specific volume at lower temperature, m3/kg
    v2= specific volume at higher temperature, m3/kg
    £=linear cofficient of thermal expansion of steel
    Λt=(t2-t1)
    Static Head = in Kpa
    Thnaks..............
    they are about the same, don't forget in the metric system the total absolute press is about 14.4 psi, its actual 14.7... pick the size of the tank equal to the result or next size Up
    Guoc luck
    mias3525 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Hi ,
    I am following up this topic and intersted to know what is the best location of the pressurization unit in the chilled water loop
    Thanks

Aug 20, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mias3525
    Hi ,
    I am following up this topic and intersted to know what is the best location of the pressurization unit in the chilled water loop
    Thanx
    As high as possible, indoor ,where you could inspect it, not inside ceiling
    khdaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 08:14 AM
    How can I calculate the expansion tank in the closed loop of chilled water system?
    kdagencies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Dear All,
    I have been seeing the mails on this topic. Following are my suggestions;
    If the pressurisation unit is located on the terrace, pump of the pressurisation unit will not have to work against the total static head, resulting in smaller size pump. If you keep the unit at ground level, the pump will have to overcome the static to push water in the circuit. Pump in this case will become multistage & H.P. will go up.
    For expansion tank sizing also the static plays important part. If the tank is on terrace, the size would be smaller. If kept of ground level, the size will go up substantially.
    Please let me know if anything else is required on this topic.
    DILIP DATEY
    dulenz Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
    You can locate pressurisation unit anywhere you want. If your chiller and pumps are located on level 0 than locating the pressurisation unit at highest level will make it smaller and cheaper than if you locate it on level 0. However bare in mind that it might not be feasible to locate pressurisation unit at highest level (no plantrooms).

Cut in and out points will depend on pressure in piping that you want to keep. When pumps are not operating the pressure in piping should be above atmospheric (positive gauge) at all points of the system to prevent air infiltration. Typically you need around 30 kPa positive pressure.

ASHRAE formulas are OK. For sizing

Chilled water is closed system so pumps should be sized for pressure loss through piping, coils and fittings only!! Not for static head.

Location of the pressurisation unit has nothing to do with pump selection. Pumps will be the same wherever you put your pressurisation unit.

Let me know if you need more help
    Gouravnim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 02:46 AM

How to calculate the head and flow for chilled pumps primary & secondary?
    ronald123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 04:42 AM
    Dear kdagencies,

Appreciate your answer.
    What about the flow rate capacity of the pressurization pump?

To anvarpb,
    What is the Q in your equation above?
    Is it the sensible heat you mean?

Hope to hear you soon.
    This is a good thread to share ideas.
    baneshpai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
    I was following above questions. Can anybody tell me what will be the pressure at the highest / top level of the building?
    Chill Man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2012, 07:00 AM
    I like to add a smole correction for this. If consider the pump head as same as the hight of the building you will never reach to the top. First calculate the head loss of the piping arrangement and add that to this. That is your pump head. But do not forget to keep the safety factor.
    Alireza Avizheh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Hi
    And also for calculating open exp. Tank volume you can use below eq.

V = 1.5 x ( Q / 1000)
    Q = boiler heat Capacity, Kcal/hr
    V = open exp. Tank volume, Lit.
    jumayjuma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Salam
    This is a common problem in New Dubai
    Was sudden District Cooling become the favorite choice for newly developed towers because of more investment advantages?
    However
    Observations:
    * Secondary chilled water pumps are at full speed (VFD) and sometimes even stand-by pump is on.
    * Lower floors tenant are paying high energy (BTU Meter) Bills.
    * Higher floors are not getting enough cooling.
    * When humidity level rise, condensation & fungus will hit the tower.
    * DC-Provider is not satisfied of less cooling consumption
    Reasons:
    * Form of air pockets.
    * Wrong location of Chilled Water Pump
    * Wrong location of make-up pressurization pumps
    * Using bad quality of Air Vent Valves
    * Unbalanced chilled water system (Can't be balanced as it is)
    * DC-Provider control the flow depending on Temp. Diff, while tower control's flow depending on Pressure, no integration or communication between both systems
    For Corrective Action & Solution
    Please send me your e-mail so I will send you a presentation
    Thanks
    Eng. Juma Yousef
    Getco-Green Earth Technology Co.
    +971-50-4948385
    [email protected]
    Patrik-bc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 05:38 AM
    Dear Caibuadday,

In a chilled water system (primary secondary and tertiary pumps with chillers), how to determine the maximum allowable pressure at the pressurozation unit to use in the calculation it is too much confusing and not clear for chilled water system.

And if the pressurization unit is installed at the suction of the pump how it keeps the pressure constant at this point? In other way if we install the pressure unit at the discharge side of the pump why negative pressure will come at the suction?

I wish your supportive answer since no one is able to answer me and even in the BS and ashrae these 2 points not clear.

Thank You so much!
    Patrik-bc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2013, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dulenz View Post
    You can locate pressurisation unit anywhere you want. If your chiller and pumps are located on level 0 than locating the pressurisation unit at highest level will make it smaller and cheaper than if you locate it on level 0. However bare in mind that it might not be feasible to locate pressurisation unit at highest level (no plantrooms).

Cut in and out points will depend on pressure in piping that you want to keep. When pumps are not operating the pressure in piping should be above atmospheric (positive gauge) at all points of the system to prevent air infiltration. Typically you need around 30 kPa positive pressure.

ASHRAE formulas are ok. For sizing

Chilled water is closed system so pumps should be sized for pressure loss through piping, coils and fittings only! Not for static head.

Location of the pressurisation unit has nothing to do with pump selection. Pumps will be the same wherever you put your pressurisation unit.

Let me know if you need more help
    Dear Dulenz,

In a chilled water system (primary secondary and tertiary pumps with chillers), how to determine the maximum allowable pressure at the pressurozation unit to use in the calculation it is too much confusing and not clear for chilled water system.

And if the pressurization unit is installed at the suction of the pump how it keeps the pressure constant at this point? In other way if we install the pressure unit at the discharge side of the pump why negative pressure will come at the suction?

I wish your supportive answer since no one is able to answer me and even in the BS and ashrae these 2 points not clear.

Thank You so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water not available on some units in my condo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: I live in a condo where there are 6 units to a building. I recently had to shut off the water supply to the entire building to replace a hot water tap in the kitchen dishwasher as part of a remodeling project (lots of banging, tearing). Now my neighbors downstairs are saying that they...

Water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new home (2800 sf each level main and basement) and will be doing a manifold distribution system with PEX piping. With the length of the house, I was planning on a two water heater system. Both 50 gal electric plumbed in tandem. If this seems feasible, would I just supply the...

Restat loop [ 7 Answers ]

Every time I turn my computer on it will go into a restart loop: on,off,on,off etc. Like a continuous restart mechanism. On normal bootup I reach the desktop to be met with error messages telling me my System has recovered from a serious error. I click "DOnt send" and another pops up. After...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Water Pressure from Well System Fluctuates [ 2 Answers ]

The flow of water frequently will fluctuate. It will drop some for a 5 or 10 seconds and then resume the original rate. This occurs over a much shorter interval of time than the typical cycle when the pump comes on at 30 PSI to boost the pressure in the tank back to 50 PSI. Our system is 12...

View more questions Search