Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TommyGun80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Need to know which way city will be snaking my sewer line
    My sewer line is getting snaked by the city tomorrow for a clog. I was wondering what's the odds that I would still have to call a plumber to snake from my house. A few plumbers told me that the clog is probably between my cleanout and the curb so the city would have to snake from my house. They will only snake from my cleanout outside though. I live in the city and my cleanout cap is in my backyard. Since my cleanout is in the backyard will the city be snaking towards the alley where the cleanout is near or to the front of the house near the street? I'm just asking cause I would think if they snaked towards the front of my house from the backyard that would clear the clog. Oh and the cleanout is slanted going towards the alley. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2009, 03:20 PM

Rule of thumb says that you only snake with the flow and not against it. The reason being that if you snake against the flow you'll never know where your snake might come up. Could even be in a toilet. If I under you correctly this will be the first time I've ever heard of the city clearing a clog for a home owner on private property.
    If they snake your sewer line it should be between your house clean out and the street. A possible exception to this would be if the city installed a curb clean ou. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Hi all...

YUP! I agree with Tom on this, for sure. Sounds like your main cleanout is just outside your foundation. Unfortunately, the cleanout is most likely on a wye fitting that will force the snake the city guys use to follow the FLOW OF THE DRAIN (as Tom stated). In other words, they can't go backward, whether they like it or not!

Let the city guys do what they can from the cleanout to the street. If they can't clear it from there, then you will need to plan on hiring a plumber to snake the drain from inside the building to the cleanout in the yard. Your plumber may find an accessible cleanout at the BASE of a waste stack, or may need to lift a toilet to gain access to the main drain... all depends, of course!

Let us know how you make out... O.K.?

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer line [ 0 Answers ]

I was just wondering how far or how deep the main sewer line would be coming out of the house the 2 clean outs are located at the side of the house, the house is on a slab?

Snaking a 4" main line [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I heard that is really easy to get a motorized drain snake stuck in side the pipe how can I avoid this and be safe? Thanks in advance Greetings:)

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Sewer Line plugged at city line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi~I own an old home and all of a sudden we have plugged sewer drainage! First, the toilet REALLY overflowed and after plunging the toilet, it backflowed into the shower, ugh, nasty! I took the toilet off, snaked (50 feet) into the lines, nothing there, did the same with the shower. Still...

View more questions Search