Ask
    lucybing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Angry rude adult child living at home
    Angry rude adult child living at home how to cope
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2009, 05:34 PM

Stop doing things for this "child", like washing clothes, cooking, etc, until you get their attention, and most importantly, their respect.

If not, make them leave.

Do not allow one of your children, who is supposed to know better, ever disrespect you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 06:02 PM

Kick them out, seems simple
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 29, 2009, 05:32 AM
    I don't know how old this 'child' is, but if the living arrangements are not working, then change them. If you allow this to cause you stress, and upset your life, you can't complain.

It is also not a good idea to let an adult child not grow up. If they take their anger and frustration out on you, they will never learn to cope themselves in the real world; in other words, you aren't doing him/her any favours by allowing them to continue with this behaviour.
    Dararamm Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 02:55 PM

Make it clear to the adult/child that you aren't going to tolerate that kind of behavior anymore.
    If it continues then use some "tough love" and kick the adult/child out if its old enough to live on its own.
    -"Tough love is an expression used when someone treats another person harshly or sternly with the intent to help them in the long run."
    TELITLIKITIS45 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2009, 12:13 AM
    Make them have resposibilty... Treat them like and adult . That may be why they are acting out the way they are.. Make them pay their way.. Show them what it could be like , if they don't like it "kick rocks"
    sturtewl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
    My adult child isn't rude,but neither does he speak to us. I do ask him to let me know if he is going to be out all night, (he has add and I have a mentally challenged child living with us.) He does not live with us full time and is currently in the Marines but will be getting out in November. My thought is to treat him like an adult , with guest rules. ( he has also been arrested for DUI (alcohol content of 16)my issuse is not going to be with him but with his father . HE WILL CONVERSE WITH ME . Rule 1 no alcolhol in the house,No 2 no sleepover girlfiend. no.3 must have job or go to school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rude and abusive adult child [ 7 Answers ]

I have a mid thirties child who through no fault of her own is unemployed, living at home and diligently looking for work. I have supported her for a year and a half. There are times when she "wigs out", that is she becomes very very rude to me verbally abusive. I have tried to journal these...

Process to evict adult child living at home [ 3 Answers ]

What are the steps and how long does it take to evict a 19 yr old adult child from your home (in Georgia). He pays no rent, unable to keep a job, binge drinks with friends. He doesn't have a car or cellphone and apparently gets money from friends. We have tried for 2 years to help with his...

Adult Children Living At HOme [ 19 Answers ]

I have an adult child who lives at home who does not want to adhere to the rules that my husband and I have set. She does not do chores and stays out all night long. Also, whereas we recognize we cannot choose the company he associates with, we are not happy that she is dating a questionable...

I home schooled: How do I deal with adult children who are angry with me? [ 8 Answers ]

I am so afraid to present my story to any of you for fear that you may be prejudiced toward home schooling. I home schooled our third and fourth child (a son and a daughter) through high school. We had two older boys in private school and our third son always competed with his big brothers. We...

View more questions Search