Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mary Snook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Codeine in oxycodone?
    I'm allergic to codeine, and have the pain killer oxycodone. Is there codeine in oxycodone?
    skiracerzion450 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Snook
    I'm allergic to codeine, and have the pain killer oxycodone. Is there codeine in oxycodone?
    No, there is no Codeine in Oxycodone. BUT Don't TAKE IT. You may have an allergy to all Narcotic medications, (vicodin, lortab, codeine etc.) talk to the perscribing doctor, and your primary care doctor before taking it! If you are indeed alergic to all Narcotic Analgesics, have your doctors make a note in your Medical Record.

Hope this helps, I'm not an expert, but I know a lot about pain meds.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
    It is similar in structure, but acts more like morphine. If you are allergict to codeine, oxycodone should be safe to take.

If you read this it will hopefully ease your mind.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Nov 22, 2006, 06:50 AM
    One more thing about oxycodone, do not break the tablet or crush it. IT is time released and you don't want all that medicine released into your system at once.

J-9 you are one smart lady, but I have to disagree on this one. Oxycodone and codeine are both opoids and if allergic to one it may be best not to take the other. The very best thing you could do would be to ask your doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 22, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Well, Isabelle, that is why I put the word should in bold. It is something that is individual and should be discussed with her physician or pharmacist.

You are correct in that they are both opioids and that if allergic to one there is a possibility of being allergic to the other.

This is one reason it is good to have a great relationship with your pharmacist. Doctors don't know EVERYTHING about meds, but the pharmacist usually does.
    abfb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 10:26 AM

I took a percocet Friday my mon gave it to me for a bad headache, I have a drug screen on Tuesday. Will it show up in my urine
    Penzanceman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 12:05 PM

There is no Codeine in Oxycodone but it does come from the same family of opioids. I have been allergic to Codine for 15 years, having taken "Demerol" for the last 4 years before reacting to them (they contain a minute amount of Codeine) My Doc' has now prescribed Oxycodone HCI and after 2 weeks, I am still "Rash clear". Advice: Start in very small doses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search