Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawdc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Tandem Water Heaters
    We are renovating our home and our builder suggested a second electric water heater as a supplement to our gas water heater. He then installed them such that the cold water enters the electric heater first and then the electric-heater water goes to the gas water heater for storage. This strikes me as backwards. It seems to me that the cold water should be heated by the gas water heater and then "stored" in the electric heater, which would only come on to maintain the hot temperature, rather than heating the water itself.

Thoughts on this?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 25, 2008, 11:05 PM

It really should make no difference. However, why electric heater ? I would suggest to install 2 gas w/h's in tandem. First heater preheats water to 115 F and second brings it up to 125 F. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but gas is usually lot less expensive than electric.
    lawdc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 04:43 AM

Thanks. We are in Washington DC. Gas is much cheaper. (Too bad we cannot use hot air. That is in abundance here. But that is another thread.) I think the intent was to use the electric heater as a holding tank and just to use the electric to maintain the water at the temperature created by the gas heater. This would use minimal electric.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:08 AM

I think a real way to minimize the use of electric is if the incoming water was pre-heated by a tankless water heater.
    Low draws would come from the tank and if you exceeded the tank or had high draws, the tankless would kick in.

Adding a recirculating loop (gravity if possible) would help even more.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 02:09 PM

Circ-Pump is not really big energy saver since it keeps running water around - and returning luke warm water back to the source for reheating - even when hot water is not needed.

But, using tankless heater ( w/o circ-pump) is a great idea that more and more people are now utilizing. From my own experience: by installing 2 strategically placed tankless heaters in my own house, my gas bill dropped down by 40%.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2008, 02:28 PM

Milo:

A recirc-pump doesn't have to run all the time and as we know, you don't need a return line, but it's better with one.
    Occupancy sensors and/or buttons can be used to start the recirc process like in the Metlund system.

The occupancy sensor in the bathrooms makes a whole lot of sense. A push button in the kitchen also makes sense.
    nc1984 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 08:20 AM
    I have tandem tank water heaters with a recirculating pump. My thought is to convert to a tankless heater that feeds a tank heater. The tank heater would operate on a closed circulating pump. The water returning through the system would go back into the tank heater and not the tankless to eliminate constantly activating the tankless system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heaters [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing my water heater and I have 2 ground wires and only one will fit under the screw. Is it appropriate to take the uncoded copper wire,cut it short and wrap electrical tape around it?

Hot water heaters [ 1 Answers ]

I have a state direct vent hot water heater, it seems that short cycles on and off. It does not provide any hot water until I turn the toggle switch off and then back on. It seems as though it is resetting shorter and shorter all the time. What could be the problem?

Hot water heaters [ 2 Answers ]

The water heaters I have is made by "State Select". How many years of manufacturer warranty I have on them.. They both 50 gallons..

Hot Water Heaters [ 2 Answers ]

The hot water in the shower goes from hot to cold when no other water in the house is running. What would cause and how can I fix?

Hot water heaters [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water heater has rusted out on the bottom I went to home depot and they told me that there is a new code law in the state of Maryland that all hot water heaters have to have an over flow tank added to their system so I am trying to find out if this is correct or not cause I have never heard...

View more questions Search