Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diane K Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Garage door remote not working
    I can only open the garage door from the push button on the wall. I have 2 remotes that stopped working. I tried reprogramming but that didn't help. I was told by Genie that it stopped working because I don't have garage door sensors on either side of the garage door and to have them installed. Is that possible?
    Thanks
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Nov 21, 2009, 02:12 AM

Yes and thesensors have to line up with each other or they won't work. This is so if something breaks the beam the door won't close if swomething is in the way, like child!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 21, 2009, 06:09 AM

I don't buy that logic. You didn't say but imply that the remote openers have previously worked. If the lack of sensors prevented the remotes from working they would also prevent the wall button from working. I assume you have checked batteries in the remotes.

Nov 21, 2009, 01:13 PM

Hi Harold,
    Yes, the remotes have always worked and both stopped at the same time. I, too, questioned that logic and was was told the wall button would still work and that the receiver finally realized there were no sensors.
    She asked if I had to hold down on the wall button (which I do) to open the door. She said if I had the sensors, I would just have to tap it.

Nov 21, 2009, 01:18 PM

Correct if you have to hold the button down it is overiding the seņors in case you can't get out of the garage for instantance

Nov 22, 2009, 02:33 PM

So, do you think if I buy the sensors that will solve the problem of the remotes not working? It's worked fine for the past 10 years without the sensors. What could have happened now to trigger the receiver not to work without the sensors?

Nov 22, 2009, 06:14 PM

As previously stated I don't buy the logic.

If the opener has worked for 10 years without sensors, it doesn't need them now. Not all openers use light beam sensors. Some, particularly older ones, use pressure sensors. Sensors prevent closing not opening.

Do you have a lock button on the wall control? Is the door electronically locked? Sounds like that to me.

If you have replace batteries in the remotes, I would say that since neither of two remotes will work, the opener itself is defective.

Nov 22, 2009, 07:50 PM

Sorrry I didn't know it was 10 years old. Oops
    ChristineJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks so much to hkstroud! I've been going crazy trying to figure out why my remotes don't work... never thinking that there was a lock on the pad. Thanks again!

Dec 18, 2009, 10:10 PM

Ok, so I finally gave up and called a technician. I was at work, so my daughter came to the house to let him in. She tried her remote and it didn't work. Ten minutes later, he showed up. She gave him the remotes... he pushed it and it worked. He checked out the motor and receiver and couldn't find anything wrong. Can anyone figure this out out -- or, it is one of life's little mysteries?
    jusejamez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Does your child come through a different door then you do? I have almost the same issue but I have 4 remotes!
    2 work and 2 don't work. Mines use to work until I got my car fixed and left it near my 4th remote which I never use. I almost think that the old remote that I never use did something to my remote that worked because the only thing I did was place it next to the old remote that was not being used. I will try the batter thing but I didn't want to take the battery out of the 2 remotes that work because I don't want them to stop working. Im getting some batteries today. I have tried an old battery and 2 batteries that were in the remotes. I even swtiched those batteries around. [email protected] jusejamez!
    sekakemp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 12:50 PM
    I have a similar problem today. All remotes just stopped working. Two in the car, one mounted exterior to the house, and then the hand remotes. It is not possible for all of them to go out at the same time.
    I've tried reprogramming the base and that doesn't seem to work. The hard-wired button works just fine. I unplugged the motor for a minute and that didn't help either.
    Not sure what to try next. This is a Genie ACSR3 and is probably 10 years or more old. Opened and closed when we went to breakfast, but all remotes failed to work at lunch time.
    dellastella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Thank you so much to HKSTROUD, that's exactly what happened. I had a guest here who was trying to turn on the garage light without opening the door, and he must have hit the lock instead of the light.

I am so relieved.

By the way, I agree with others who dispute the "logic" sensor of the garage door company. Call somebody else. If they worked before without the sensor, what happened? Did the sensor devils enchant the door opener, requiring installation as payment?

May 25, 2013, 07:13 PM
    Thank you dellastella for the kudos. For the record let me say in big letters for all those future posted who's remotes stop working

CHECK THE ELECTRONIC LOCK BUTTON
    (on the wired, wall mounted control if you have one).

Only takes a minute and doesn't cost you anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote doesn't open garage door. [ 11 Answers ]

Remote doesn't open garage door. If I press the button within the garage, it will open or close the door. The battery in the remote is new. The built in car opener doesn't work either. At one point, door would open with the remote for several days and then it wouldn't. This happened on two...

Lost Garage Door Remote [ 15 Answers ]

Help, The previous renters left without returning the remote for the garage door. The problem is the door is closed and there is no other way into the garage. I'm not sure of the brand of garage door, but how would I open the door from the outside if I don't have the remote or how do I program a...

Sears Garage Door Remote [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find a supplier for the following: I would like to purchase a remote control unit for my Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener.. 2 of them came with the unit, but now a new member of the family has moved in and I would like for him to have a unit also.. The only information...

Garage door remote doesn't close door in colder weather [ 1 Answers ]

My garage door remote works fine when the weather is warm, however, if it gets below 60degrees, it won't close (no problems with opening it). When this happens, the only way to close it is to hold down the manual garage door opener continually until it's completely closed (otherwise it'll start...

Remote garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home with a Craftsman remote garage door opener that is outside the garage. Model # 139.53876 with push bottons 1-0 (no # and no *). I know the old four code number but need to know how to change the code with a new code number.

View more questions Search